Arrogance and Pride

The question had left her mouth faster than she had time to process. Oikawa felt annoyance swirl deep in the pits of his stomach. Did she really feel the need to ask that question? "I love volleyball." He hissed; the question offended him more than he thought it would.

Of course he likes volleyball, what kind of stupid question was that? Yana smiled coldly; her eyes hard. "Oh? Is that so? Because from here, it sounds like you are doing this for Kageyama. Kageyama this, Kageyama that. Apart from just now, I haven't heard you say anything akin to 'I like volleyball' or 'I'm doing this because it's fun.' It seems more like you want to beat Kageyama rather than actually win the tournament. Why are you so fixated on him!? Is it not enough to play your best for you and your team?"

"I need to stay one step ahead of him" Oikawa, irritated, scrunched up his face. He distinctly remembered telling Yana about what had happened in his shared past, so why didn't she get it?

"Practicing till you pass out won't assist you in any way whatsoever!" Yana crossed her arms over her chest. Everyone else could see just how bad his obsessive practice was and everyone was beginning to get concerned for him. "You have beaten him already; move on from your one-sided rivalry."

"You don't know anything." Oikawa growled.

Yana scowled at him. "I may not know everything, but I know enough to tell you that if you continue with what you are doing, your petty rivalry will consume you till you won't even enjoy the sport anymore." Throughout their argument both Yana's and Oikawa's voices steadily grew louder and broke above the silence.

"We have to win. We need to win against Karasuno, against Shiratorizawa, against everyone. I want this team to make it to nationals. This is our last year! Our last chance!" Oikawa was the first to raise his voice in frustration. "You wouldn't understand. You went to nationals, you won first place, you have the title as the 'Number Three Top Libero in the Nation', you always win!" Oikawa felt repulsed as some of his ugly jealousy leaked out, but he couldn't stop. "And the best part? You yourself said you didn't even think of winning as a big deal because you didn't need to work hard for that victory!" He glared at her with cruel dull eyes and a sneer plastered on his face.

"I wouldn't understand? Excuse me?" Yana scoffed in disbelief her face switched to one of anger and hurt, "I am worried about you! Everyone is! This has nothing to do with winning or losing." Her voice was hoarse as her volume increased.

"You are just so arrogant. You don't know what it's like to play in a team who had to work for their victories." He let out a hollow laugh. "You aren't even on the team! You don't even step on court!" No sooner than he thought it, he allowed his words to spill out unchecked. Shit.

It became a war of words and who could hurt the other more was the winner.

This argument from seemingly nowhere had spun out of control like a tornado. "You call me arrogant, but at least I'm successful. I have accomplishments to back up my arrogance! What about you? You don't have anything." Yana had freed all the stops. What the hell am I saying? "Go ahead and call me that. Call me whatever you want. I'll wear it with pride!" Yana had to admit those last words really stung. He isn't wrong though. You never do actually step in court to play. Are you really part of the team at that point? The darker voice in her head chirped. Yana's eyes narrowed; she could feel her eyes glisten, but she held back the tears. Yana picked up her bag, this wasn't time to stick around. "Since I'm not on the team I'll be leaving." She snarled. "I think we are done here."

Despite it being a departure Oikawa could feel the tension and hear the intensity in her tone. There was a great deal of emotion behind those words. Oikawa slicked his hair back and crouched down. as he tried to process what just happened.