...Till it Breaks

Yana watched the match continue. Aoba Johsai had won the first set before Tanaka had finally gotten back in the groove again. The second set was a painfully close one with Karasuno just scraping out a victory.

Truthfully, Yana had gotten a little distracted as she was writing notes that she missed some of the gameplay. By the time she had put her pen down she only caught a glimpse of the silver-haired setter walking back to the bench. If she had heard correctly, he was a third year named Suga.

Yana saw the slight disappointment in his reassuring smile. She couldn't even begin to fathom how frustrating it must feel for him. The unfortunate third year student who was replaced by the genius first year. Yana quickly snuck a glance at Karasuno's coach. It must have been difficult for him to bench Suga for Kageyama, but he didn't make a wrong decision. To climb to the top and win the tournament, the team must have the absolute best players they can provide.

'The team with the most skilled players will win no matter what.'

Yana clicked her tongue and grumbled. She didn't need to be 'enlightened' by the words of her Demon Coach. That philosophy was one of the many she didn't agree with, there are plenty of other factors that influence the flow of the game.

Yana shuffled restlessly in her seat and twirled the pen in her hands. It was the third set and there was no room for error. The cheers from the stands were more than enough to fill the arena. To avoid making the same mistakes both teams utilized what they learned in the first and second sets. Since we've reached the third set the team should be used to Karasuno's attack patterns.

But the same could be said for their opponents. It was only natural for Karasuno to also believe that they had seen everything Aoba Johsai had to offer. Unfortunately for them, they were wrong.

-----

"Watacchi!" Oikawa had the first touch to return the ball.

I'm no match for Nishinoya's defensive capabilities as a Libero. I know that. But there is something that I can do for the team that he can't. Watari ran up to the attack line "Got it!" He held his breath and jumped up to set the ball midair.

----

Yana grinned proudly. Watari had told her prior to the match that he wanted to do as much as he could for the team and lo behold, he was making good use of this newly learned skills. Yana watched as the ball went up cleanly and Oikawa finished with a solid back attack. He slammed it down and the spectators erupted in cheers.

Not even a few minutes after the celebration Karasuno had finally decided to bring Hinata back on the court. The freak quick was back. This combo, that sets their own ridiculous pace, can't be allowed to remain on the court for long.

Yana winced as another one of Hinata's superfast quicks made it past Hanamaki and Kindaichi. Yana watched with her fingers crossed as she watched her teammates scramble just to receive the ball. Spike after spike and steadily Karasuno was closing the point gap.

"Come on ball, fall on Karasuno's side already..." Yana clenched her clipboard tightly. She could tell just how tired her team was. The rally seemed to go on forever. There were only a few point's separating Aoba Johsai and Karasuno but there were even fewer separating Aoba Johsai and victory. The game had made it to an astounding thirty-one to thirty-two. Aoba Johsai just needed one more point to win.

------

"What an incredible nuisance." Oikawa spun the ball in his hands. Tobio, with your rapid development you might just win against me... Oikawa let out one deep exhale as he focused. The sound dulled in his ear, as he tossed the ball up. His heart pounded like a battle drum as he awakened the way of the King. The world seemed to go in slow motion as the ball bounced back and forth in a desperate rally. It slowly became apparent that there was a difference in their strength as a team.