Cats and Crows

Yana kept her hoodie and mask on as she approached Kuroo and Kenma. It might have been very suspicious, but she couldn't exactly let Karasuno know she was there. They knew her from Aoba Johsai so it would be odd if she was with Nekoma too. What if they thought she was a spy? "Kuroo! Kenma!" She squealed as she ran over to them.

Kuroo who was standing a little in front of Kenma held out his arms for a hug. When they were kids, whenever any out of the three would be gone for long periods of time they would always hug it out when they reunited. Even now that they were teenagers, they wouldn't be ashamed to admit that they still continued with the hugs. "Yana!"

Just as Yana was about to run into Kuroo's arms for a hug she abruptly sidestepped out of the way and ran behind him to hug Kenma first instead. "Kenma! Ah, I missed you!" Yana tightened her hug unbothered by Kenma's unenthusiastic response. He wasn't much of a hugger, but he would make an exception for her.

"Y-Yana. What about me?" Kuroo still held his hands open for his hug. He wasn't expecting her to slip past him.

Yana laughed then turned back around to hug Kuroo. "I missed you too, Kuroo." Once they had finished hugging it out, she wriggled out of his grasp and waved to the rest of the team who had already crowded around the trio. They assumed she was grinning, but from her face mask they weren't too sure.

"I know you are here to support us, but what are you wearing?" Yaku cringed from the sight of Yana wearing their school colors in the most obnoxious way possible.

"What? Don't like it?" She smirked, once again unseen. "I thought I really looked the part to cheer you on."

"Then why do you look like a serial killer?" Inuoka blurted out, still as blunt as ever. "When you have your hood up it's kinda scary."

"Why do you even own a hoodie that big anyway?" Kai scrutinized the bright red hoodie, eyes drawn to the 'Oya Oya Oya' print on the front. "It looks like something Kuroo would own."

"Because it is mine!" Kuroo protested. "She took it!"

Kenma corrected him, "I gave it to her."

The team laughed at their antics. It was nice to have everyone together. Even though Yana wasn't ever officially part of the team she wasn't treated as an outsider. Her friendship with Kenma and Kuroo was the reason Yana even interacted with the team. She ended up watching most of their official matches and eventually she was adopted as an unofficial member of the team. "I can't let them see who I am." Yana whispered; her voice muffled from her mask making it a little harder to hear her. "They know me from Aoba Johsai."

The team nodded in understanding. Yana was the first to notice the Karasuno students looking over at the commotion confused. Yana looked to Nekoma then back to Karasuno. "You guys haven't officially told each other your names yet, huh?" She tried to stifle her laughter. "Here, let me introduce them to you."

Yana gestured to Kuroo, "This guy with the ridiculous bedhead is Kuroo! He is the captain of the team and thinks he is cool, but he really isn't." Without pausing she went to the next person. "This strapping young lad is Kenma, he hates getting tired."

Yana gestured to the next member, "Yamamoto, he really wants a girlfriend but has been having trouble finding one. Probably because of his hair." She went over to the shortest member of Nekoma, "This is Yaku! He is the mother of seven troublesome kids."

Kenma, Kuroo, Yamamoto and Yaku all sent Yana a dirty look but let her continue. They wanted to hear what she had to say about everyone else.

"This is Inuoka, he is the most positive out of the team. He reminds me of a Golden Retriever puppy sometimes." Yana then gestured to the second most reliable player on the team -Yaku is definitely the most reliable- "This here is Kai. He is the vice-captain of the team and a really chill guy. He likes Sea grapes though which are really gross. No one else likes them. And lastly we have Fukunaga." She gestured to the last regular player on the team. "Yamamoto always tells him to talk more instead of just laughing at his own jokes when he thinks no one else is looking."

"Ok, that's quite enough out of you." Yaku crossed his arms over his chest using his mum voice. Before Yaku could say anymore, the coaches from both schools called their respective teams over to start the match. Yana said her quick 'see you laters' and 'good lucks' before she retreated from Yaku and scampered towards the second-floor viewing area.

Both teams made their way into the gym, the tension between them somehow dissipated to a mix of excited and nervous energy. One of the taller members who exuded nervous energy turned to his considerably shorter classmate. "Nishinoya? What's wrong?"

"Asahi, I feel like I've seen that person before." He ruffled his already tousled up hair. "Somewhere..."

--------

As Yana made her way up, she thought of Karasuno's current team composition. They had players that she had never seen before. She eyed each member of the Karasuno starting order. "Sawamura, Tanaka, Tsukishima, Kageyama, Hinata." She mumbled as she pointed at the corresponding players. "...and two other mystery members." Yana examined the pair trying to put her newly learned skills to the test.

"Libero?" Yana didn't want to be presumptuous but the fact that one of the two members was the shortest in the team usually meant that they were the Libero. She wasn't implying that the Libero is the only role short people can play -look at Hinata for example, he was a Middle Blocker- but more often than not, that was the case. Yana wasn't entirely sure till she saw him on court wearing the reversed uniform colors. The boy's fluffed up dark chocolate colored hair was styled upwards giving him a little extra height and the blonde tuft in the center of his head was a surprisingly cute feature on him. He seemed like the kind of person who would have an energy tank and personality far larger than his size. Yana tilted her head. Haven't I seen him before?

Now that that's been decided, who the heck is this guy? Yana tilted her head and tapped her lips a few times with her finger. What role do you play? The guy was the same height as Tsukishima -roughly- but had much softer features. His long caramel brown hair was styled in a small bun behind his head. He seemed to have a little scruff but from all the way up where she was sitting it was only speculation. If he had his hair down, he would look like a certain god of a certain faith that I definitely won't be going to meet after death. She laughed internally at her own comment. Yana was thankful no one was paying attention to her because they surely would have thought she had lost her mind.

---------

Yana watched Nekoma's pregame huddle from the viewing stands. She may not be there herself or even hear what they were talking about, but she knew with every fiber in her being what they were saying.

We are the body's blood...

Kuroo held his fist out in the center of the huddle, "Flow smoothly..."

...and circulate oxygen... Yana continued internally.

"...so, the 'Brain' can function normally." Yana and Kuroo said in unison, unknown to each other.

-------

"Let's do this!"

Team Nekoma broke the huddle as the match began "Yeah!"

Just before the players took their starting positions Kenma went closer to the net to talk to Hinata. "I said that I think my team is strong, but it's not because of me." Kenma looked towards his teammates then back to Hinata, "My team is strong because of everyone."

Kenma was the first to serve. The ball aimed to the back corner, while it didn't have the power of Oikawa's serves it instead had a clean arc. As soon as the ball was in play Kenma took his position. The game had started, and he didn't want to lose.

"Asahi!"

#3 – presumably 'Asahi' sent the ball up in the air and straight to Kageyama to set. Yana immediately looked for the small ball of energy. If she was correct in her guess, then Kageyama would toss the ball exactly where Hinata would already be jumping. Just as she spotted him the ball was slammed down on Nekoma's side of the court. "Damn, even though I saw the spike coming I wasn't ready for how fast it was." Now that she was in the viewing area, she could really see just how fast the ball went.

Yana heard the squeaking of volleyball shoes, the cheers of Karasuno's team and the sound of the ball being passed around. Yana didn't care for them at the moment, she was too busy watching Kenma. It wasn't that he was the most active player on the field -far from it actually -but she could practically hear the cogwheels turning in his head as he took in information.

"Ah, seems like the 'Brain' is functioning just as well as ever."