The Better Setter

Aoba Johsai's first match ended without much difficulty. It was an easy two to zero. Though Oikawa's many service aces were one of the main contributors.

"Twenty-five to ten for the first set then twenty-five to six for the second set. That was pretty sad" Yana shook her head. She was used to seeing one sided games like that and they were never fun to watch. That's not to say she didn't appreciate an easy game but sometimes she couldn't help but feel a little bad for the opponent.

"We managed to save some energy for our next match" Oikawa gave the team a model worthy smile, that held no hostility, "I'm really excited to face Karasuno with everything I have! I'd really enjoy breaking them," His words didn't match his chipper expression. It was chilling to say the least.

------

As soon as Aoba Johsai stepped on the court a few high-pitched squeals gushed from the stands. "Oikawa! Good luck! Do your best!"

Oikawa waved to the girls with a photo perfect appearance. "Thank you, thank you!"

"Oi, focus." Iwaizumi glared as he passed a ball to Oikawa. "Let's warm up"

Oikawa gave toss after toss to his teammates. "Nice going Makki! Right on target"

Another toss "Sorry Kindaichi that toss was a little high"

The last practice toss went to Hajime. "Iwa-chan, aren't you trying a little too hard? You don't need to show off. There aren't any girls who'd watch you after all!"

Hajime froze for just a second before he picked up a volleyball and prepared to slam it into Oikawa's smug face.

"Iwaizumi calm down!" Kindaichi held Hajime back trying to save Oikawa from Hajime's wrath.

Yana held her breath to stifle her laughter. While it is true that most -if not all- girls who were cheering for the team had come to support Oikawa specifically, but that didn't mean Hajime didn't have a fair number of fans himself. What the team didn't know that the Aoba Johsai Volleyball Fanclub recently held a poll to find out who was the most popular. Unsurprisingly Oikawa was first, but second and third place were held by Hajime and Yana, respectfully.

Coach Irihata called the entire team over to him. "We don't want #10 to be leading you around by the nose again, so it is imperative that you control the ball's course and stop whatever is stoppable. Keep everything else in the air."

The team nodded in response before they huddled up, Yana included. They heard Karasuno finish their own cheer and naturally they couldn't let themselves be outdone by the crows.

Yana took a deep breath before she started the Aoba Johsai huddle. "Seijoh! Rule the court!"

"YEAH!"

They released each other from the huddle. "Alright! Let's do this." Before the team walked on court Oikawa turned around to face his team. "I'll be counting on you again today."

Before every match Oikawa would say the same thing. Coming from him, they could mean anything from a pleasantly to a threat, but the entire team understood that this moment is one of the few times where his words held no double meaning and he was absolutely serious. The entire team would give their all and place their trust in him as both a Setter and a captain.

"Everyone line up!" the referee announced to both teams. It was the end of the official warmup and the match was about to begin.

Yana gave Oikawa's back a gentle pat but didn't say anything. No words were needed. The atmosphere around the entire Aoba Johsai team changed as the starting members made their presence known on the court.