Flightless

There is another TRIGGER WARNING with ***these things***

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yana fiddled with the tips of her hair as she continued to recount her story. "The team was far from perfect. It was a toxic situation where everyone blamed each other for their mistakes. As a Libero, whose only job was to keep the ball off the floor, the blame always landed on me."

--------

"Iwaizumi! You couldn't even catch that?"

"What kind of Libero are you if you can't do your job"

"Why do you even play if you are just going to drag us down?"

"Useless Libero."

--------

"Shōsha had only received third place once. It was my fault. I couldn't get the rebound fast enough from one of Aki's blocked spikes."

There was a moment of silence as the other four students looked at each other. That was the most toxic team environment they had ever heard of in a group. Before any of them could say anything, Yana continued.

"Iseri was from the boys' team so we saw each other frequently because of practice. It wasn't long before we ended up dating." Yana took a deep breath. "He made me feel like I wasn't useless and that not everything was my fault." Yana grit her teeth and huffed. "I should have seen the signs."

---------

"Zumi! Where are you going?" Iseri flagged her down from the other side of the hallway.

Yana didn't stop walking. "To my next class, shouldn't you go to yours too?"

"Nah I can walk you. I'll only be a little late so it's all good."

-----

"Zumi who is that?" he waited outside her classroom door and pointed at the boy who just walked out.

"My friend, he is in the next class over"

"Do you like him more than me?"

"What?! No!"

------

"Zumi what have you been doing all day?"

"It's a school day. I've literally been in class."

"Did you talk to anyone?"

-------

"Zumi I think you should stop talking to him."

"But he is my friend." Yana huffed; she was a little confused as to why he would say such things.

------

"What'd you get up to?"

"Uh, same as when you asked three hours ago?"

-------

"At first, I thought it was simple concern, or interest then I soon found it suffocating. He wanted to do everything together. He needed to know everything about me. I wasn't permitted to do things on my own or with someone else." She shuddered. "Then it got worse."

------

"Why did you leave without me Zumi?" He grabbed her wrist and yanked her back into his arms. "You know you get lonely, right? Why are you going places without me?" He hummed and held her close. "I'm always here for you."