Lunchbox

Yana missed a serve. She lost a point. It's all my fault. Twenty-four to Twenty-three. Yana swallowed as she felt her arms burn. She mumbled a quiet 'sorry' as the court went silent. She hadn't missed anything all match except that last serve.

"Don't worry. It's still match point." Kindaichi gave her a hard pat on the back which caused Yana to wince a little.

"Ouch."

"One more." Yahaba added with another pat. "It's the homestretch."

Yana nodded and once more the team took their positions. She released a long exhale before she looked back at the server. One more. She bent down with just enough renewed vigor to give her a solid stance.

Hajime stretched and prepared to serve. This time he put a little more power into it as he slammed it over the net to the back left of the court. Yana connected with the ball and it flew upwards still staying on their side of the court. The set was a little shaky but Shido managed to hit the ball with enough force to get over the net.

Much to Yana's dismay the other team managed to return the ball to their side of the court. Unfortunately, as soon as it came over the first touch of the ball went to the setter.

Yana called out to her team. She took a large step before she hopped from the back line and set the ball midair for the spikers to take "Hit it!"

Yuda slammed the ball down to the free spot of their opponent's court. It hit the floor with a bang.

"Twenty-five to twenty-three. Game end."

The team celebrated their little victory. They thoroughly enjoyed the practice match. Yana quietly walked over to her team after she had caught her breath. Yana apologized. "I'm sorry." She looked down at her feet. "I should have been able to return it cleanly."

Yahaba frowned. "Why are you apologizing for that? It's normal to miss a few balls."

"I have to catch all the balls. It's my only job. That's what my role is for. If I don't... If I don't pick them up..."

"What'll happen if you don't? We lose one point. It's just one."

"But..."

"No buts" The coach was looming beside the small team huddle. "I admit you do have more than enough skill to help teach our Libero, but you need to allow your team to do more. You can rely on them a little bit. You can't and don't have to pick up every single ball yourself." He had heard a certain team from nationals used that as their main strategy, but he never found out which school "What team were you on before?"

"Shōsha Academy, Girls' Volleyball"

The coach simply nodded. "I see."

"So, did I pass?"

"Oh, Yes. You may join as a student coach assistant. You won't have to do any of the manager duties since you will be helping with the team. I look forward to working with you." He handed her a club application form.

She smiled just the smallest amount as she filled out the form hastily. "I'm totally going to regret this after."

- ----AFTER MORNING PRACTICE-----

Class six had a substitute teacher that day since their main teacher was home sick. Naturally with a substitute teacher the students were a little rowdier and somehow managed to convince the teacher that 'we always work on our senior projects in the morning'. Which gave Oikawa the perfect opportunity to get his answers.

"You're a really good Libero. Did your team go to nationals?" Of course, Oikawa knew the answer, but she didn't know that he did.

Yana had long since given up hiding the fact that she was on a team once she agreed to the practice match in the first place, especially since now she was an official club member. "Yes, we went quite a few times actually."