Sharpened Fangs

The second match started with another one of Oikawa's 'new and improved' serves. While he did miss, he was getting closer to the line -if Sawamura and Nishinoya's expressions were anything to go by. Yana started to bounce her leg up and down in nervousness. Did I make the right choice to put Kyoutani in? Was I too early? Too aggressive?

"Yana." The Coach turned to her briefly. "Pen twirling is fine; leg bouncing is not." He turned back to the match. "Trust in your judgement."

Yana pursed her lips and sat still. She really hoped she had made the right choice.

------

"Nice receive!"

Watari managed to dig the ball up from one of Tanaka's spikes. He refused to let anything slip by him, this was the last tournament for the third years and Watari wanted to help bring the team to nationals.

Oikawa swiftly set the ball to the right. I'll need to calm him first. A toss should do it. "Mad Dog~!"

Kyoutani needed no more prompting. He spiked the ball as hard as he could and cut across the net and avoided the three Karasuno blockers. Unlike last time, the ball landed in bounds. The crowd erupted with enthusiasm seemingly surprised by how slanted the spike was.

Oikawa was passed the ball, glanced Kindaichi's way then tossed. This time around Kindaichi leapt to the right and allowed Kyoutani to hit the ball from behind him. In a poor show of self-control and spatial awareness, Kyoutani's momentum threw his body into Hanamaki, almost causing another tumble.

"Are you alright?!"

Hanamaki groaned and regained his footing. "Yeah." He nodded to Oikawa's concerned question and finished righting himself up.

-----

Yana covered her face barely able to watch. Why? Why are you like this? As much as she appreciated all the points Kyoutani had scored for them she had hoped he would have developed a little more 'teamwork' mentality.

"Suddenly adding a member really disrupted the rhythm."

Yana cried internally as she heard the Karasuno Coach point out the glaring weakness. Yes, yes, I know. Yana leaned forward and clenched her hands together. Kyoutani, please be more careful.

-------

Toss after toss Oikawa sent the ball almost exclusively to Kyoutani for the next few points. Once it was clear that Karasuno had come to focus on Kyoutani's overwhelming presence, Oikawa set the ball up to Kindaichi.

Kindaichi leapt up as high as he could. There were no blockers in sight, so it was a free hit that he didn't want to miss. With as much effort as he could muster Kindaichi slammed the ball down in his spike. The score was now six to three with Aoba Johsai in the lead.

"Nice Kindaichi!"

Oikawa watched as Kyoutani grit his teeth and went back to his position. Mad Dog is really mad now. Oikawa smirked. Regardless of Kyoutani's reactions, Oikawa was going to bring out Kyoutani's full potential and make sure that the dog's bite was stronger than it's bark.

------

As the match went on, Kyoutani's spikes only got more aggressive. Yana switched between watching Karasuno and Aoba Johsai. From what she could tell Karasuno hadn't yet caught on to how Aoba Johsai was regulating Hinata's attacks.

-------

"Get the last ball!" Hanamaki covered the pass and sent it towards Kyoutani who was already in a spiking position. "Careful it's close to the net!"