Creating Distance

"Kim Jongkook" I called, waving my hand at him from the other side of the road.

My father had to leave for work earlier than usual which meant I had to either walk or take the bus to school with Sungmoon but, even he ditched me for his friends instead.

I tried my luck with going to school with Somin but turned out she had left already too with Sechan who picked her up.

Luckily though, as soon as I got out of the house, I found Jongkook coming out of his as well. It was such a great coincidence, knowing I didn't have to spend half an hour alone travelling to school.

I crossed the road and caught up with Jongkook with a heart beating faster than usual from running and trying to catch my breath.

"Yah, did you not hear me call you?" I smacked him on the arm.

"Would I walk ahead if I heard you?"

"Uh..uhm... that's up to you"

Flustered at his sudden statement, I felt my cheeks go warm. I tried to hide it by placing both the palm of my hands on my cheeks but he caught on too fast.

"What are you doing?" he took a glance at me.

"It's cold. I get cold easily these days" I lied.

He abruptly stopped walking, causing me to nearly bump into him since I walked just behind him. He took his bag off his shoulders and stripped the jacket he had on off of him.

"Wear it" he told me.

He sounded rather demanding, like he wasn't giving me a choice. After handing him my bag to hold, I put the jacket on without arguing with him. He already seemed annoyed from the beginning of the day and I didn't want to add onto his problems.

When I reached for my bag, he snatched it away and wouldn't let me take it back. Confused, I tilted my head slightly and furrowed my eyebrows at him.

"The bus will be here soon" he spoke before proceeding to casually walk away from me.

Something about him seemed strange, he wasn't himself. He gave short answers and didn't bother looking at me when he spoke. He always had a blank facial expression who would at times joke around with me but I only sensed pure solitude from him.

I wanted to give him space and not pry too much. If he wanted to let me know something, he definitely would say it.

I followed close by but enough space between us was present. I didn't know how to start a conversation with him so silence between us filled the atmosphere instead. None of us talked until we got on the bus where he finally broke that silence.

The bus was crowded, full of people going to work and mostly full of students going to school. There weren't anymore vacant seats except for one empty seat we found near the back of the bus.

"Sit" he curtly ordered.

Nearing my limit of him ordering me around, I obeyed the orders anyway and sat on the seat beside an elderly woman while Jongkook stood right beside me, his hand holding onto the rails, with both our bags slung over his shoulders.

I felt sorry for him carrying all that weight on his shoulders. I had two big textbooks along with some other notebooks inside my bag and only he knew what was inside his. It was heavy to carry even for me so when he offered to take it, I felt relieved at the same time.

"You two look good together" the elderly woman beside me suddenly claimed and smiled.

It became obvious she was talking about Jongkook and I. Her eyes shifted from me to Jongkook simultaneously with a beaming face.