Glimpse Of Us

[KJK POV]
"You didn't choose her" I said.

My statement sounded more accusing rather than a supposedly question. Reapers who chose to stay in this world pursued a person they usually fell in love with. What made me wonder was why he didn't do the same.

"Becoming a reaper is a beautiful thing. It gives us a second chance to appreciate life when we didn't the first time round but even God has his limits" Bopil spoke.

He always had a way with his words, always sounding wise and keeping his listeners interested in the topic. Something about that made me respect him more.

"I love her so much and that love is the reason why I chose not to stay" he continued.

He clearly looked upset as he told his story. It became clear a lot was on his mind. I was prepared to listen if that was what he needed.

"Shouldn't that be more of a reason for you to stay?" I asked.

"I was a fake to begin with. I wasn't her real husband, the man she had grown to love all those years ago. She didn't really know me. I was just another person in her life that came and now had to go"

Another person in her life that came and now had to go.

It sounded all too familiar. A heart wrenching pain emerged from my chest, a weird sensation to ever feel as a reaper and something I never wanted to feel again. I started to think it was even worse than the headache I got from drinking the magical tea back at the castle.

Dumbfounded by the words I was hearing, I didn't even realize I was staring into space until he had to knock some sense back into me.

"Your situation is completely different to mine" he said.

Lately, I had become predictable as Dongwook described me. My thoughts and emotions were easily read by the people or reapers around me through my facial expressions.

Even when I tried so hard to pretend to be the reaper everyone knew me as, the cold hearted, mysterious, brooding reaper, I simply couldn't because my emotions had taken full control. The heart had been known to be deceitful but my mind was far gone to ever get the chance to take control again over my decisions.

"I don't think so" I spoke.

"Hmmm"

"God's limit you spoke of? What did you mean?"

He looked toward the sky as if he was deep in thought. Smiling like an idiot. He really had his own ways of acting such a diva sometimes.

"Don't you ever wonder why the higher ups don't look for reapers that run away to pursue the things of this world?" he questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Not really. It had never been my concern"

"It's because their decisions has consequences. The higher ups simply don't need to move a finger to punish them because God already will. Those runaways, they don't get another chance at life again. They will never be reincarnated"

A moment of realization dawned on me. Maybe his self worth was greater than his love for her or maybe he had other intentions. Whatever made him decide his own fate, I was sure he thought carefully of it.

"I have accomplished great things as a reaper and it is up to God how he will plan out my next life. I can only hope to meet her again when the time is right" he continued.

I didn't even need to ask further questions. It was as if he read my mind. It had always been like that with him. He never left me curious and fully explained the whole context.