Decisions, Consequences

"Grim reaper?" I repeated.

"That's... what I am" Jongkook explained.

"Are you really giving me an excuse right now to hide the truth? Do you expect me to believe that you're the harbinger of death to explain what just happened?" I raised my voice.

"I'm... I'm telling you the truth" he sounded desperate.

"The truth doesn't matter right now Jongkook-ah, this woman's starting to wake up" Mr. Choi informed him.

I couldn't understand what really went on and why Mr. Choi was going along with what Jongkook had to say. Nothing made sense anymore and I hated that I was left in the shadows not knowing anything right.

"Jihyo, look into my eyes" he pleaded.

My gaze met his and as soon as my vision aligned with his eyes, I noticed they started to change colors, into a bright red. I never knew how he could do that but it still didn't explain anything for me.

"You thought they were contact lenses, but they're actually my real eyes. All reapers have these kind of eyes to see what is unseen in this world" he continued.

"Are you really going to make a fool out of me?" I shouted, pushing him away, which caused him to lose his balance and fell backwards.

As I stood up, I saw Mr.Choi's eyes do the same but his turned into a bright orange instead. He made the old woman look into his eyes and chanted out something that made her fall unconscious again. He took the woman into his arms and lifted her up from the ground.

"Jihyo-ya" Jongkook grabbed onto my hand.

"Just erase her memory and come help me with this woman" Mr. Choi sounded frustrated.

"No, I can't do that" Jongkook defied him.

"What do you mean you can't? Just do it"

"I can't. I've tried before and it doesn't work on her"

He tried it before? Thinking back, I did remember him saying something similar to what Mr. Choi just said to the woman but thought nothing of it back then. His eyes glowed too and didn't find anything suspicious.

"Help me here first then I'll do it myself" Mr. Choi ordered Jongkook.

Jongkook stood up from the ground and tightened his grip on my hand and he pulled me behind him as if he was protecting me from our teacher.

"You're not going to do anything to her" Jongkook told him.

"Understood, now help me out here" Mr. Choi sighed.

Jongkook's grip on my hand loosened after a sigh of relief before fully letting go of it. He trusted Mr. Choi enough that he wouldn't do anything to me but I was still scared after finding out the truth. I still didn't want to believe it all but Jongkook wasn't the only one, I presumed Mr. Choi was one too.

I watched as the two men carried the old woman out of the building and as she started to gain consciousness, Mr. Choi explained to her that she must have gotten lost and ended up at the school.

The woman didn't seem to question much of what happened and told him that she had started to lose her memory and more frequently now. She thanked Mr. Choi for his help before she went on her way.

"Now, are you sure you don't want me to erase her memory?" Mr. Choi clarified, looking straight at Jongkook while he completely disregarded me.

"Isn't that my decision?" I interrupted.

"Hmm, what a strong personality you have there" Mr. Choi turned to me.

Once again, Jongkook grabbed my hand and pulled me behind him, as if he hid me from our teacher's final judgment.