Broken Promises

*Disclaimer: this chapter includes sensitive content*

[KJK POV]
"Take a seat R76" the Grand Reaper gestured for me to sit on the chair in front of his desk.

I took a step closer towards the chair, finally realizing what I was doing. I started to question my own decisions. Everyone around me trusted my judgment, Dongwook and Bopil and I didn't want to let them down for taking on such a big risk.

I worried about changing after finding out about what really happened in my past. What if it didn't live up to my expectation and turned out I was just as evil as the cases we were assigned to.

All of my reaper career, I vowed to eliminate such beings in this world, but what if I became a reaper because I did something so terrible in my past.

Anxiety overcame me as I got closer and closer to that chair until I finally took my seat. The Grand Reaper's continuous grinning didn't help at all, it just worried me more. For the first time, I felt so weak and vulnerable, like I was out of place in my own home. 

The Grand Reaper carefully placed a white plain looking cup in front of me before taking a seat where he normally sat.

"Souls that are made reapers choose whether or not to drink this tea to forget their past before embarking on their reaper journey. Often times, reapers choose to forget to have a fresh start and you're no different" the Grand Reaper informed me.

If what he said was true, then my past was just as I thought. I must have done great terrible things to have come to this.

A reaper with no memories, choices that I made led me to become who I was. I always thought that being  a reaper was a punishment, but in reality it was an option for a new beginning.

"Like humans, reapers are also always given a choice. If you drink this tea again, it will enable you to remember your forgotten memories" he continued.

"This will only show who Jihyo was to me. I also want to know why Cheon Yongbae is determined to hurt her" I said.

He fixed his glasses and looked forward, ahead of him as if he recalled a time where he encountered the spirit himself.

"Cheon Yongbae had a daughter, Cheon Sungim"

"I know that much" I cut him off.

"I think getting your memories back will help you understand the situation more"

I placed a hand around the cup and picked it up from the table. Looking inside the cup, the tea appeared normal yet it held such great power. I wondered if it could really help me remember everything. I had my doubts but I took that next step anyway.

Before I could change my mind, I put the cup closer to my mouth until it touched my lips and took a big sip of the tea. A surge of memories ran through my mind that made it feel like my head was about to explode.

The pain and emotions became unbearable that I fell off the chair as I held onto my head and fell to my knees on the floor. I wailed in pain from the memories filling my head. I was suffering all the while I collapsed to the ground and laid there just waiting to pass out.

>Flashback<
(Reaper's past life)

"Will you marry me Cheon Sooyeon?" I proposed to the beautiful woman who stood in front of me wearing a white floral dress.

I was down on one knee with a red velvet box in hand and inside it was a silver ring with one big diamond that she deserved. The woman I was proposing to was the girl of my dreams, she was everything I wanted. A kind hearted woman who thawed my frozen heart enabled me to feel love and joy, emotions I never thought I was capable of feeling.