Recovered Memories

[KJK POV]
It was all a dream, a nightmare to be exact. Except it felt so real. I remembered everything, even to the smallest detail of it.

Was all of it real?

Was I really capable to do such things, especially to the one I valued most?

I groggily opened my eyes and noticed a single tear had rolled down my cheek. It dawned on me then that it wasn't a dream. Every bit of it really happened. Even if it wasn't in this life-time, it still happened and that was all that mattered.

"R76, you're awake" the Grand Reaper said monotonously.

I got up from the floor and took my seat again. It was strange, in an instant the pain that I felt in my head disappeared. During that moment, it felt like my skull was about to split open yet it quickly faded away.

"Do you remember now?" he questioned.

"I do"

I understood why I wanted to forget about the past. There was no reason for me to remember all those painful memories. Until the very end I couldn't keep a single promise to Sooyeon.

"So you must know now that Song Jihyo is the reincarnation of Cheon Sooyeon, your lover" the Grand Reaper revealed.

How could it be that I crossed paths with her once again, in a life-time where she was human while I was a grim reaper. It was unfair that we met this way. I told her we would be together again, but even in this life-time of hers, I couldn't be truly there for her.

"I...I killed her. I killed us all that day" I said in a daze, staring at nothing in particular, completely lost in my memories.

The whole scene kept repeating in my head. There was no escape to it and it was already eating me alive. I realized how stupid I was for making those decisions back then. She would have been alive if it weren't for me. It made me wonder if Jihyo wouldn't be in such danger if it weren't for me too now.

"R76, there's something you need to know about that day" his tone of voice changed, he sounded serious.

"What more could there be when I remember it all so clearly?"

"Cheon Yongbae was in the room with you that day"

"W...what?"

"Did you not notice a change in your father's behavior? Aren't you wondering why he acted differently only that day?" he continued.

"What are you trying to say?"

"JK Kim, your father cared for you a lot. He may have been a wicked person in the eyes of many, but he protected you from his wrongdoings. He wanted you to grow up differently to him and would never hurt you. Unfortunately that day, Yongbae possessed your father with the intention of killing Cheon Sooyeon"

"You're telling me... my father was innocent all this time? He disapproved of my relationship with Sooyeon, that cannot be a coincidence"

"I'm sure you're aware he made several enemies in his life-time. You were the one weakness his rivals knew about and ensured your protection at all times. If they found out about Sooyeon too, he knew they would target her. In order to attack and hurt your father, they had to hurt you too. That would have caused discord in your family and would also be the perfect opportunity to strike your company. He wanted you to wait until you were in power and fixed his wrongdoings in the business industry until you publicized your relationship with Sooyeon so that no one would go after you both. He wanted nothing but happiness for you"

I was so blinded by rage that day that the perception I had of my father changed as quickly as his behavior did. I knew he wasn't himself and when he apologized to me at the end, it felt genuine and sincere. I didn't believe him then, but now a heavy burden has been lifted off my chest.