The First Date (?) Part 2

And so, the pair found themselves at a local arcade and cashed in a couple of coins for the arcade ones. 

To no one's surprise, the first one Kagami picked was the basketball throwing game where he ended up breaking the high-score record. Yui joined in too but as stated in previous chapters, the girl's athleticism was next to zero. 

Her high-score was 5. 

Eventually, Yui wanted to try some other stuff so the duo visited different games and played together. Kagami was thankful that Yui was an easy girl to please. Plus, she seemed to be having heaps of fun watching Kagami beat several high-scores. The only thing that pissed him, or rather both of them, off was the fact Yui was getting unwanted attention from random dudes who spend half their life in the arcade.

She indeed looked pretty today, not that she didn't every other day, but her outfit definitely caught some attention and Kagami took it upon himself to guard her closely whilst glaring at any guy that stared.

"Fufu, my date is very protective." the girl teased. Kagami blushed and tried to explain himself.

"N-No, it's just -- You look too pretty today! It's bad if other guys stare at you ~ " he murmured the last part.

Yui looked up at him and blushed. 

'Damn. He's too cute! Gah! My heart's beating too fast!' 

"I don't hate it. I'm glad you look out for me," she admitted. 

[Author's comment: I hate myself for writing this cringe]

Kagami let out a relieved sigh and ushered her along to the next machine. 

At around noon, the two had spent way too many coins and had tried just about every game they could find in the arcade. At this point, both were feeling parched and opted to go to a nearby cafe for something to eat.

"Say, isn't Rio's aunt's cafe near here?" Yui asked.

"You wanna eat at a maid cafe?"

"I mean, why not? Plus, they do have good options there and I heard she'd reopened after getting more workers." 

They had left the arcade with bags of prizes, and were strolling down the sidewalk. At the corner, they took a right and entered the street where the maid cafe was.

Kagami in all honesty would rather NOT go to such a cafe, especially on a date, but seeing the brunette girl's excited face, he couldn't bring himself to ruin it. Things were going wonderful right now so he sure as heck didn't want to screw it up over a petty reason.

"Fine. Since we're here already and all..." he said. 

Yui cheered and skipped to the door before opening it. 

"Ara, Yui-chan. What brings you here today?" Akari, Rio's aunt, was carrying a tray with someone's serving of parfait on top.

"Akari-san, good afternoon. Actually, I'm here with Tai - Kagami," Yui said. On cue, Kagami entered the café with a sour expression which garnered attention from the café's patrons. 

Akari's eyes glinted while her lips tilted to a smirk. 

"A date? Fufu, how adorable. How about you guys try the couple's special? Just for today, I'll give you two a discount."

Yui's eyes brightened, "Really? Thank you Akari-san." She jabbed an elbow at Kagami who pursed his lips. 

"Uh yeah. Thanks." he muttered awkwardly. 

Akari smiled and led the two to a spare table before making her way to the kitchen. They watched the workers walking up and down and felt a wave of nostalgia.