The New Manager

The Ateez members were doing their dance practice. They weren't learning any new choreographies at the moment, but that did not mean they could take a break. There were plenty of old choreographies to practice so they did not forget them.

Yunho had just paused the practice under the pretense of correcting Jongho's footwork and Yeosang's arm position, when in reality he had noticed Mingi rubbing his back. Mingi knew well what his best friend was doing and shot Yunho a grateful smile, as he straightened himself. After Yunho had showed them the movements, he proposed a short break before trying again. Everyone immediately sank to the ground in an exhausted heap. Wooyoung flopped over San as usual, while Yeosang lay flat beside them, his arms spread out wide. Yunho headed over to Mingi to sit beside him and rub his back. Seonghwa and Hongjoong chatted quietly in the corner, while Jongho sat close to Yunho and Mingi, absentmindedly rubbing his leg.

But no sooner had they all relaxed, the door opened and the manager entered. A scowl crossed his face as he saw them all seated across the floor. Hongjoong and Seonghwa immediately leapt to their feet, but the others sat in silence, their heads raised as they glanced at each other.

Manager Ho crossed his arms. "I am glad to see you all practicing hard. Is this how you practice when your manager is around or do you think you can slack off since he is gone?"

San glared at him. "Our manager didn't feel the need to babysit us" he retorted. "He trusted us to practice on our own and when he came to check up on us , it wasn't to criticize us." Out of the corner of his eye, San could see Hongjoong glaring at him and mouthing something.

But Seonghwa stepped forward and bowed politely. "Please forgive him, Manager-nim. We are all a bit out of sorts without our old manager."

"Are you excusing his behavior?" The manager snapped back.

Seonghwa looked visibly startled. "Sir?"

"As a hyung, it is your duty to reprimand him and keep him in line, not make excuses for him. And you-" He swung about and pointed a finger at Hongjoong. "Why are you staying silent?"

Hongjoong bowed his head. "I am sorry, sir. I will speak with him after."

Manager Ho was outraged. "AFTER??? Speak with him now! What is the point of speaking later?"

Hongjoong's jaw jutted out stubbornly as he clutched his hands tightly behind him. "I told myself I would try to never scold a member in public, sir. It is not right to humiliate someone."

"And why should you respect their dignity, when they can not respect their elders?"

San rose to his feet. He could no longer bear to see his two beloved hyungs being scolded like this. "If you want our respect, earn it."

The room fell eerily silent, as Manager Ho slowly turned to face him. "What did you say?" he snarled angrily.

San gulped as he faced the angry manager. But deep within him, he still felt the burning rage of how the manager had hurt Wooyoung. And the rage whispered to him like a devil on his shoulder.

"I said, you have to earn our respect first. Respect us and we will respect you." He smirked and crossed his arms. "After all, it is easier to replace a manager than an idol."

Hongjoong sucked in a sharp breath and quickly stepped forward. "San, apologize right now! How dare you speak to the Manager-nim like that?"

San shook his head. "I will apologise to him when he apologizes to us for being a complete a-hole."

Hongjoong was taken aback as he gaped at San in shock. Beside him, Seonghwa physically winced at San's words. But the manager was livid.

"You will all go back to your dorm rooms immediately. You are not to come back out until you are told to."