Revenge is Best Served...in the Dead of Night

Hongjoong stirred as something in him nagged at him to get up and start the day. He had so much to do, so much to take care of. But he also wanted to just lie in bed and avoid all the responsibilities that were weighing down upon him.

He glanced at the window and saw that it was already bright outside, as the sun peeked through the curtains. Sighing, he went to move, before realising his arm was trapped beneath Wooyoung. Using his free hand, Hongjoong gently raised Wooyoung's head and slipped his arm away.

Glancing around the room, Hongjoong couldn't help but smile fondly at his sleeping members. Jongho was fast asleep, tightly curled up into a ball, and hugging his blanket. Yeosang was against the wall beside him, his blanket tucked about him like a cocoon. He had given up his bed for San.

Although, Hongjoong had suggested that San could just sleep with Wooyoung, like they often did, both San and Wooyoung had insisted their hyungs sleep with them instead. So while Hongoong had slept with Wooyoung, Seonghwa was still fast asleep with San snuggled tightly beside him.

After gazing around the room one last time, Hongjoong quietly stepped out of the room, and headed down the stairs. He made a call for a breakfast delivery, then headed to his own room. Opening the door quietly, he peeked in. Mingi was lying sprawled out across the bed like a starfish. Hongjoong headed over to him, and seated himself on the side of the bed.

The movement caused Mingi to stir. Reaching out, Hongjoong leaned down and touched Mingi's foot. Mingi's eyes flickered open and he sat up quickly. Hongjoong laughed teasingly, before patting him on the arm.

"You all good?"

Mingi nodded as he stretched his arms out wide and yawned. "It was a good sleep," he murmured in a slurred voice. "You should have slept in too, hyung."

Hongjoong shook his head. "There is too much to do today. I ordered breakfast, so we can eat together before we all go to the company." He paused as his sharp eyes took in the way Mingi tensed up at his words. "Mingi, there is something-"

Mingi bowed his head, and rubbed his face wearily. "I know, hyung. I will apologise to Mr Cheol."

"Mingi," Hongjoong protested, reaching out to grasp Mingi's hand. "You are not apologising to anyone. In fact, I should be the first one to apologise to you. I am so sorry I did not listen to anything you tried to say to me. I am sorry for not noticing how much you were struggling. I am sorry for not pushing you to tell me the truth. Most of all, Mingi...I am so sorry for not protecting you."

Tears were prickling at his eyes as he spoke, and he gazed up at Mingi in earnest. "Will you forgive me, Mingi-ah?"

Mingi flushed at his words, not knowing how to react. He ducked his head to hide his embarrassment. "Of course, hyung. I don't want you to blame yourself."

Hongjoong shook his head. "No, I was partially to blame. I was so taken up with stress that I neglected you all and my duties of being the leader. I will do better in the future, I promise." He patted Mingi on the arm again, before rising off the bed. "We all need to talk as a group when you come out. There is something you need to know."

Mingi frowned at this, not understanding why everything sounded so serious. But he pushed himself off the bed, and followed Hongjoong out into the living room. To his surprise, the rest of the team were all lined up there as if waiting for him. Mingi stared at them all awkwardly, his steps slowing down, as he tried to hide behind Hongjoong...which obviously did not accomplish much.

Hongjoong stopped before the other members, and gestured sternly to them. Jongho stepped forward, almost eagerly, and bowed his head.

"We want to apologise to you, Mingi-hyung. We were playing a prank on you. The...the dorm was never haunted. It...it was just us." He glanced up, trying to gauge Ming's reaction. Mingi was just gaping at them in silence, his mind working to piece it all together.