A Moody Maknae

Tap...tap...tap

Jongho stirred restlessly as he felt something tapping against his hip. His lids fluttered, and he groaned as light disturbed him. The tapping ceased, and Jongho pulled the blanket up over his head to try and find the comfortable darkness which he had momentarily lost. Sleep was just settling over him once more, when again it came.

Tap...tap...tap.

But this time it was also accompanied by a voice.

"Jongho-ahhhh," it whined playfully. "Wake up. Wakey, wakey."

  Jongho curled up into a tight ball, hoping that if he ignored it, it would miraculously go away. But unfortunately, miracles are hard to come by. And today was just not Jongho's lucky day. 

Something large and heavy crashed down upon him. A pair of arms and legs sprawled across him, attempting to cuddle him with all four.

Jongho cursed loudly. He ripped the blanket from his head, so he could breathe and shoved the offender to the floor. He sat up, his head reeling as he adjusted from his peaceful sleep to the rude awakening.

The offender sat on the floor, looking offended.

"YA! You didn't have to push so hard, you punk."

Jongho glared at him.

"And you didn't have to wake me up. My alarm still had another 20 minutes."

Wooyoung rose to his feet and dusted off the back of his pants. "Well, it's time for breakfast."

Jongho groaned and threw himself back onto the pillow behind him.

"The hyungs aren't even here, so why can't we all just sleep in?"

"Our hyungs aren't here," Wooyoung emphasized with a smirk. "You still got 5."

He reached out and grabbed Jongho by the arm and forced him off the bed.

15 minutes later, they finally made it down to the dining room where the others were all sitting. Yunho shot them an annoyed look, and the two youngest scurried to find a seat. 

Yunho was good at taking charge, and would often act as Ateez's sub-leader. He had a strong authoritative voice and could pull the members into line almost as well as Hongjoong could. But there was no denying that the position stressed him out when the matz were absent and he had to step up to be the temporary leader.  He was always a little on edge and more prone to snapping out at his members. But the others knew it was only because he wanted to do well. Being the same age as most of them, he struggled to turn from being a same age friend, to someone demanding their respect. So he was easily annoyed when the younger members didn't listen well to him. He would always think they weren't taking him seriously in place of the matz hyungs, and would get upset.

Hongjoong had pulled him aside before he had left.

"Yunho, I want you to know I have great faith in you," he had told his nervous dongsaeng in an encouraging voice. "Be strict with the kids and don't let them walk over you. You may all be the same age, but you are the oldest when Seonghwa and I are away, so you are in charge. But also don't forget that the kids don't listen well to me either at the best of times. Don't take it to heart when they don't listen. Be firm, and don't be overbearing. Let them play around, as long as no one gets hurt. Okay?"

Yunho thought back on that now, and took a deep breath. The members were late to the table all the time. Yunho couldn't exactly say he was the most punctual himself.

"Guys, just because Seonghwa-hyung and Hongjoong-hyung are away, it doesn't mean we are going to let our whole routine go out of whack. We can still have fun, but let's still keep some kind of order here."