8 Makes 1 Team

Yunho glanced nervously at the clock, then back at his fellow members. Mingi was sitting beside him, anxiously biting his nails, while Yeosang, Wooyoung and San lay in a heap on the floor. Jongho was on the single couch, his fingers thudding softly against the arm of it.

As if sensing Yunho's gaze, they all turned and looked at him.

"Hyunggg," Jongho murmured, his voice barely coming out as more than a whisper. He said no more, and there was no need to. They were all thinking the exact same thing.

Hongjoong's plane landed in an hour, and they had promised him that they would all go pick him up. That had placed them in a difficult predicament, as Seonghwa was not in any state to go anywhere, least of all in public.

Yunho sighed in frustration. Being the next oldest, the rest of Ateez had turned to him for guidance. But before he had any time to think further, the sound of the company van pulling into the driveway could be heard.

"Damn it," Yunho snapped, causing the others to jump in fright. "Wooyoung, you stay here with Seonghwa-hyung and makes sure he doesn't do anything stupid. Put him to bed if you can, and throw out all the cans he left lying around."

"Bold of you to assume being drunk changed his cleaning habits," Wooyoung retorted. "He even mopped the floor at 4am this morning while stone drunk."

"Yeah, but he didn't sweep first," Jongho muttered in disgust, having been the first person to go into the kitchen barefoot and discover the soggy crumbs from last night's dinner.

Yunho rose to his feet with a groan, the affects of a terrible night's sleep beginning to make themselves known. "I don't think the cans even made it to the bin."

"Sure didn't," Mingi agreed as he pulled a can out from behind the couch cushion. "You'll have to play a game of treasure-seek if you want to find them all."

"Come on, we gotta go," Yunho said, as he clapped his hands to make them all get moving. "We'll just tell Hongjoong that he was sick or something." He paused to help Wooyoung get to his feet. "You okay, Woo?" He asked, peering closely at the younger man's face.

Wooyoung smiled back at him, but it turned into a grimace as he moved to take the can from Mingi. "Yeah, I'll be alright. Just...don't let Hongjoong find out."

"We're gonna try," Yunho promised. "Last thing we want is our captain committing some serious crime."

But as he herded the others out the door and into the van, Yunho could not help but think he would be there along side Hongjoong if he did indeed choose to commit one.

For Yunho was far more protective than he was given credit for. So protective that he perhaps felt a greater anger at the injustices than either of his two hyungs did. He was just better at not showing it, than the leader was. But it was there, a growing darkness inside of him that threatened to come out at any moment.

Taking a deep breath to calm himself, Yunho leaned against the window and stared out. But he did not see the buildings rushing by, only his grim drawn face staring back at him. If Hongjoong didn't find out, though Yunho secretly half-hoped he would, Yunho vowed he would take the matter into his own hands. Whatever that might come to mean.

* * * * *

Hongjoong tried to pretend to be cool and calm as he casually strolled over to his members who stood waiting around the van, but the closer he got, the wider his smile grew and the faster his footsteps became. Despite the three days having flown past, Hongjoong had still felt the emptiness of not having his loud chaotic members by his side. It felt strange taking care of himself and not seven other people.