San's Secret

Manager Ho faced the members, his expression hard and cold. Once they had all seated, he spoke. "I spoke with the CEO about your problematic behaviour, and needless to say, he is very disappointed. He reluctantly admitted he is quite fond of you boys and has let you run wild ever since you debuted. But he has agreed the managers should not overlook such disrespectful behaviour. He will also speak to you later, Hongjoong. He wishes to explain your role to you more clearly. As leader and second oldest, you should be keeping the team in check. And Seonghwa as the eldest hyung, should be helping with the discipline. Which brings me to the important announcement. As written in your contracts, corporal punishment will be incorporated and used if needed. I am a firm believer in this being necessary, so be warned I will not be soft or easy. I will not tolerate disrespectful and arrogant behaviour. If it happens again, I won't hesitate to discipline you before the whole group. Is this understood?"

The eight boys stared at each other in horror. San stared miserably at his shoes, hoping no one would look at him and realise the truth of what had occurred. He didn't want them to know the pain he was in right now and how he longed to stand back up. So, he bore it all in silence as he nodded along with the others.

The manager continued. "And don't think this excludes you older boys. I don't care if you are "too old", the oldest, or the leader. You are all the same level to me and will receive the same punishment. Alright, that will be all."

He turned and walked out. The members all breathed out in relief and stared at each other, trying to gauge their thoughts.

"Poor Wooyoung" piped up Yeosang, in an attempt to break the tension. "How will he survive?"

Wooyoung glared at him, before kicking him in the leg. "Like you are such an angel."

"I am the angel" Mingi pouted. "But Yeosang is also the golden child."

Yeosang nodded. "But come on, let's make a bet on who will be the first one to get in trouble. I bet Wooyoung, then Mingi."

Jongho laughed. "Nah, if it is Wooyoung, San will automatically be the next one. We all know San follows Wooyoung's lead." He turned and poked San in the ribs. "You must have been born under the luckiest star, hyung. You must be so relieved you got in trouble before he spoke with the CEO. You would have been in for it otherwise."

San did not reply. He rose to his feet and headed to the door. He hoped and prayed, he was not grimacing or walking too stiffly. His heart almost stopped as Hongjoong halted him.

"Not so fast, San" Hongjoong said quietly, grabbing his arm. "You and I are going to talk in my room."

Nodding sullenly, San followed the leader up to his room. Once inside, he stood stiffly at attention, his arms behind his back, as Hongjoong sat on the bed before him.

Hongjoong stared at him for a long time. When he spoke, his voice was more disappointed than angry, just as Yunho had reassured him earlier. "San, what did we speak about before Manager Ho came?"

San gulped, his gaze glued to a spot on the wall beside Hongjoong's ear. "Being respectful."

"Were you respectful, San?"

San shook his head. "No, hyung. I am sorry, hyung."

Hongjoong sighed. "I know you were upset about what he said to Wooyoung and I won't blame you for feeling resentful. But 8 makes 1 team, San. You are one of that eight. You are a reflection of that team. When you are disrespectful like that, it reflects on all of us. It reflects on Ateez. It wasn't like you, San."

"I am sorry, hyung" San repeated, almost robotically.

Hongjoong studied him, shaking his head slightly. "I expected better of you, San. And I am really disappointed.  Make sure it doesn't happen again."