The Runaway

The members had longed discovered that the best time to get permission off Hongjoong was either when he was half-asleep, on the phone, or busy at work. These situations might sound like dreadful timings, but when Hongjoong was distracted, he would often say yes, just to get rid of anyone bothering him.
Luckily for the members, the leader hadn't caught onto this yet and fell for it almost every time. Although woe had fallen on several members (particularly Mingi and Wooyoung), when they had chosen some terrible times when Hongjoong was under a lot of stress. Not that it had taught them to behave any differently however.

And so it was, that Yeosang nervously peeked his head around the door to see if Hongjoong was asleep or not. He had been at his studio all night working on a collab project for promoting some kind of product. He had gotten back around noon to grab some lunch, and was now crashed on the couch with his eyes closed.

Yeosang wasn't sure if this was a good idea, but he had run out of several skincare items and wanted to replace them before their schedule got busier. Wooyoung had offered to share some of his, but Yeosang was very particular with his brands, due to his acne-prone skin. He could have gone to Seonghwa to ask permission to go out, but Seonghwa had just got back from the shops that morning, after asking all the members whether they needed anything. Yeosang had been adamant however, that he didn't need to go, only to remember an hour later, that he in fact, did.

Sighing, he tiptoed over to the couch and gently touched the leader's shoulder. Hongjoong's eyes flickered open in an instant, causing the younger man to realise with guilt, just how lightly the leader had been sleeping.

"What's wrong, Yeosang-ah?" Hongjoong asked sleepily, his lids slowly drooping closed.

"Hyung, I really need some stuff from the shops. If I take a mask and wear a cap, can I quickly duck down?"

"Mmm," was the murmured reply.

Punching the air excitedly at his luck, Yeosang turned to go, but was stopped when Hongjoong spoke again, but this time in a firmer voice.

"Don't wander or get distracted, Yeosang. And be back before sunset."

"Yes, hyung," Yeosang called back over his shoulder, before dancing out the room. He skipped up the stairs to grab a mask and cap. Then after a moment's consideration, he also slipped on a thicker jacket to disguise his body shape. Feeling satisfied that he was no longer recognizable, he darted out the door and out into the street. It was already well into the afternoon, but Yeosang was confident he had plenty of time and didn't need to hurry.

He was in and out of the shop in no time, so he decided to take the long way home. It was quieter and with less traffic. He passed several chicken shops as he walked, and while his stomach growled hungrily, he resisted the temptation, as he remembered the horrifying events of his late night escape.

Thinking back on that night brought his guilt back to the surface. Was it my fault all this started? He wondered to himself. He walked with head bent, heedless as to where his feet were taking him. Were all the events that followed because of me?

He gave a little sob at the thought of how his beloved members had fought each other. And that small sob, awoke something within him. The tears flooded over, and he sank to the ground sobbing bitterly. He rocked his body back and forth as he cried. Around him, the sky changed from blue to hues of pink and orange. The sun's dying rays reached out to touch the clouds, lining them with gold.

But Yeosang did not see the beauty above him, as he buried his face into his arms. It wasn't until someone lightly touched his shoulder, that he jolted back to reality. Standing over him, with a motherly concerned expression, was an old woman.