Book Two: biggest surprise of all

Lavender's viewpoint

   I went about my day like a miserable person. My eyes were deep and hollow from crying too much as I attend to the customers. I had to apply a lot of makeup to cover up. It had been almost five days and I was yet to get any money. I had to pay the organization for what I borrowed or I'll be jailed because I don't have any property to seize and they already took my collateral, but it only paid half of the money. I didn't know what else to do, especially with the landlord knocking at my door every morning to scream and humiliate me.

   Zayne had another episode the previous day. He wasn't able to move his legs for three hours, three good fucking hours and he was complaining about his back. I don't know what I did to deserve such punishment, what I did to fate to make me so miserable. I still needed to worry about Serenity. She almost had another breath freeze, almost.

God, help me.

   I could have asked Mr. Miller for money, to just help me and I'll work for him for the rest of my life. But even I knew my salary was just enough to put food on the table, not pay such huge amount of money. If I use my salary, what about the house rent? What about the money I borrowed? How would we feed?

Rominic.

   I shook my head frantically. I wasn't going to consider that option, ever. I knew he would be arriving the next day, but that didn't change anything. They were my children, not his.

But are you really going to let them die?

   They won't die, I knew that. Things can never get that worse. I believe, I believe that there's someone up there who loves me enough to see me through. God knows me, right? He's all I have left. I know he would find a way out for me. That was my strong belief.

   "I'll have two glass of amaranto with three ice cubes and a little squeeze of lime," I nodded absent mindedly at the man who had been trying so hard to make me notice his flirting signs. I quietly walked over to the wall of drinks to fetch him what he asked for.

How to get money, how to get money...

   I could use my body, but it was pointless. There was no one who would be willing to pay such huge amount for a leftover. Except a novel billionaire who would pay millions to get a girl. And God help me, I looked so miserable I doubt any man even sincerely gave me a second thought. I knew that because I work at the bar of a hotel not doing too bad, see a lot of men and little to none try to woo me. And even when they did, it was just for a cheap one-night stand.

   Another reason why I couldn't ask my boss for money, he didn't have that much. He was just a manager of a average hotel, not a diamond must-go hotel. I understand the man had a family to attend to. The amount of money I needed to sort everything in my life would wreck him.

   "Here you go,"

   "Miss, are you alright? Your mind don't seem to be here," good of him to notice. I languidly waved him off, making a small humming sound. "Let me guess, money? Ex? Husband?"

   "I don't have a husband, don't have a ex but I have kids, five kids. There, leave me alone," he choked on the liquid in his mouth, ending up in a violent cough I didn't care to apologize for. I sat down on my stool and rest my chest on the counter, in a way my breasts pop out of my uniform, slightly.

   "Five children," he coughed, "how come?"

   "Unexpected pregnancy, unfortunately, quintuplets," I sighed. His coughing changed to a laugh, a very amusing laugh that made me smile. "What's so funny?" I asked once he was done laughing.