Book Three: and there it is

Rominic's viewpoint

   I've seen people react to their love ones coming back from the dead, finding out their love ones didn't die as they thought, and I thought it was ridiculous. Sitting there in my car, knuckles white from squeezing the steering wheel too hard, I realize that I am the ridiculous one. Just one more turn and I'd be at the building they live, one more step to see her again.

But I couldn't.

   Firstly, she faked her death to get away from me, so she can live a new life. How would she feel if I return to the happy life she had created for herself? What will she do? What would be her reaction? I knew she hated me, before she could keep five children away from my knowledge, she must hate me with the deepest of passion. Secondly, the street they were living. I wasn't an idiot, I knew what it meant and knew it was my fault. The place wasn't proper for my children to grow, not when they could have been living in a mansion.

   Different thoughts ran through my head, different playback of the day it all fell apart. Lavender never came to my office and when she did, she didn't come unannounced, reasons why I wasn't expecting her. Maybe she was coming to show me the pregnancy result, maybe, just maybe. But I couldn't be sure. But sure or no sure, it didn't change the fact that she suffered with five infants in her womb. I pictured the scenario of the pains, the loneliness, the amount of time she went in and out of the hospital without me or anyone to assist her. I thought about how she was able to push out five children, or maybe she undergo an operation, maybe.

   Then thirdly, she raised them herself, all alone, three boys and two girls. She clothe them, feed them, provide everything for them and still manage to work so they'll live.

How could I face her after that?

How can I face them after all these years?

Do they really want me back?

   "Fuck this," I cursed, running my hand over my face. It would be worse if I exceed the three days deadline I was given. What if they were moving out? I would have to find them, but then they might not really be open-minded.

   I started the car to force myself to drive, at least take the next turn. I raised my head and saw a kid running into the street in tears. She stopped at a woman and held her knees, begging for something. The woman pushed her away and continued on her way. The girl turned to look for who next to beg...

Wait a minute, that's my daughter!

   I removed my seatbelt and got out of the car in a flash, not forgetting to pull down the hood of my pullover jacket. My legs literally ran towards her. She was trying to talk to another person.

   "Can you just listen to the crying child here! Stop being an ass!"

Okay, what?

   "Kid," I called. She turned her head to look at me but couldn't quite see my face because of the hood. She wasted no time in rushing towards me and holding my knees. "It's okay, calm down, tell me what's wrong," I said softly, going down to her height.

   "My sister, my sister, she's dying..."

   "Dying!"

   "Her chest, she got another episode and collapsed, I can't find my phone to call 911, Zach's phone isn't working, we can't call mom..."

   "Come," I stood up, lifting her along with me. I carried her to my car, put her in the passenger seat and ran back to my seat. Since the engine was still running, I drove off with speed, ignoring the bumpy road.