Chapter Thirty: inseparable

Rominic's viewpoint

   The night was going just fine, really fine, until they ruined it. I knew they would come but I never knew she would be among. And to think that all the years I'd been looking for her, she was under Ethan's protection. All his indirect insults finally made sense, all the time he made comments about how good her body is, it finally made sense. They were married and from what Ethan boast about before Serenity came and burst his bubble, she bore him sons after years of being with me and getting not even a miscarriage. It was painful because it was true. He made me realize she never planned a future with me, ever. It was always about my money and fame, nothing else. It would have been really painful and unbearable if I really was the failure he mocked me about and the impotent swine, but I wasn't.

   I wasn't a failure, my company is more successful than his. For generations to generations, our family have been rivals and we always won. My love life wasn't destroyed, I had Lavender, the love of my life and woman of my dreams. And most importantly, I had five beautiful and intelligent children. With all of that, there was nothing to worry about, right?

Wrong, there is.

   After everything Lavender and I went through, after the emotional torture, we were finally together. Years of separation and we were finally a couple again, but Peyton can ruin it. Peyton is capable of ruining everything with just one word, just one. She could remind her of what I did, repeat all the words I said in the past, tell her every single thing we did in bed and everything outside, so many things to remind her why she should never have forgiven me. Her trust in me was newly being mended, it could easily break. I could lose her as soon as I got her back, and that was something I dreaded. And next to the problem was Ethan.

   Ethan, he'd always had an eye for her because he knew even before I did that I loved her. Just like Apollo, he would do anything to ruin me, but unlike Apollo, he wasn't doing it for fun or the joy of teasing. Ethan was out to destroy me financially, physically, mentally and emotionally. And with Laverne, he knew he could succeed. For a start, he stole my place beside Lavender. He had a wife but the wife in question was more than happy to sit with me. There I was at the table, sitting between Zachary and Peyton while my girlfriend sat between Ethan and Rylee, far away from me, him shamelessly flirting with her.

   Ethan was known for his innocence so creating a scene would be a bad scandal, especially at the company's anniversary. I had to endure it.

   I strangled my fork in anger, looking down at my miserable food, ignoring Peyton. I hadn't taken a bite, I couldn't. At the table was my parents, sister, her boyfriend, Tyra and her father, my kids, Ethan, his bitch and his father, and of course, Laverne. They weren't suppose to sit with us, but somehow, they found a way to.

   "Here, I remember you don't like fish that much," Peyton said softly. I looked up from my plate to glare at her, but she was busy smirking at Lavender who was staring at Ethan. I turned my gaze back to Peyton and hissed.

   "And I remember you can't even boil an egg." The foolish girl never paid attention to me or cared about my likes or dislikes, nothing. I always wonder what I see in her, what pushed me to love her like I did and let her blind me. I never noticed her flaws, not even once, not until Laverne. Laverne knew so much about me, even the ones I didn't tell her. Yet the one I spent hours sharing information and feelings with, didn't remember a thing. It was always her and just her.

   "But you still love me anyways." I almost thrust the fork into the table, but then remembered that it was glass so that won't end well. Plus, I still had to keep myself under control.