Book Nineteen: acceptance

Lavender's viewpoint

   "No, not that one, Aunt Giovanna, you'll look like a big fat cow in that," Serafina said. She had her hand folded against her chest and the other's elbow rested on it forearm as her fingers stroke her chin. If she was a teenager, she would have looked hot with that cocked hips posture. Serenity was sitting on a white barrel chair, legs elegantly crossed, a hand on her knee and the other's elbow rested on the arm of the barrel chair while her fingers played with her hair. Her position was both elegant and cute. I swear, my babies would both turn heads in the nearest future.

   We were at the mall trying clothes and Serafina claimed "fashion goddess". So there we were, at the ninth store still looking for the perfect outfits. We already had our regular clothes but Sera insisted we get beautiful gowns.

   "What if you need to go to this emergency party and you need a dress? Or a dinner date, galas or when you want to turn your man on? Whatever that means. You'll need the outfits in your closet ready for you to slip into. So I insist you buy something beautiful but first, mom, what does turning your man on mean? I heard Aunty Anna scream it out the other time." That is what she said. I avoided that question by squealing that we should get the shopping on. But so far, we had barely gotten a single one because Miss Fashion Critic found all I appropriate.

   "What about this one?" I asked, holding up the slutty red dress I found in the pile of clothes. Sera looked at it and frowned.

   "Too slutty. You need sexy outfits, not slutty ones. Where is all the good dresses?! Let's try another mall, mom, I tire of this one."

   "Sera, we can't just leave to another mall, it's getting really late..."

   "Yeah, yeah, yeah..."

   "Hey, why not just go to the VIP section and get exclusive clothes?" Serene asked with a tilt of her head. Sera gasped outrageously. "You didn't know about the VIP?"

   "If I knew, I wouldn't have subject myself to such misery! This place has a VIP? Come on, Serene, let's go! Mom, aunty, you both stay right here while we check it out. Use this time for your girl talk and no crying. Come on, little sister!" Sera stomped out with dramatic flare. Serene stood up sluggishly with a heavy sigh, murmuring something to herself. "Little sister, I'm waiting!"

   "Coming, Zelmy!" I exhaled in relief once they were gone. Giovanna too.

   "Boy, that Sera is something," she said with a nervous laugh, "reminds me of the time Mrs. Verlice came to the office, she's like a ball of fire..."

   "She is a ball of fire." I chuckled. I threw myself down on the cushion bench, then folded my legs in. I exhaled heavily, resting my tired head on the mirror. Giovanna stood with the same dress in her hand, a faraway look on her face. I knew what she was thinking about because she knew that was the original reason we were together at the moment. She knew I claimed cupid and would never give up on that matter.

   From what I learnt from Micah and August, Giovanna did not come from a poor home. Her family weren't filthy, but they had a comfortable business that kept them well and happy. While August was her childhood best friend, they both got accepted into a prestigious junior high school. August's family is slightly wealthier than Giovanna's. There, they met Micah, the shy boy under a scholarship. Micah's grandmother had been working for Lucky's family ever since his own mother was fifteen. His mother died after birthing him so his grandmother raised him in the same house as Lucky and his brother, though as a servant. Due to her loyalty and years of service, Lucky's family took care of Micah's education but in public, the Dell Brothers wanted nothing to do with Micah and treated him like shit, except Lucky.