Chapter Thirty-one: panic and kisses

Lavender's viewpoint

   I kicked my shoes off as I walked into our bedroom, yawning in exhaustion. It was almost midnight and I was tired. The kids already slept off in the car, we had to tuck them in bed. Once again, we had to carry Jewels home because Gael followed a random woman home. His problem is bigger than his head.

   I threw myself on the bed, humming in response to the softness of it. A smile spread across my face when I remembered how Peyton looked after my dance with Rominic. She kept her eyes on us throughout the party and I happily flaunt my man in her face. I bet she was finally feeling jealousy. To think that all those time they danced, I was happy for them. God, I don't know how I was able to make myself that stupid and ruin my life. But no thinking about the past, let's focus on the future and the future is me, Rominic and my kids.

   I rolled on the bed to lay on my stomach, to get my phone from the bag I flung on the bed before throwing myself down. I remembered Link sent me a private message but I had no time to check it out. I opened my phone and furrowed my brows at the message he sent.

   ‘I'm scared.’

   I dialed his number, face still scrunched up in confusion. Link didn't pick up until my third call. His voice was cracked and hoarse, like he had been drinking and crying. "Hey,"

   "Link, my love, I just saw your message. I'm sorry I didn't see your message on time, I was at the party..."

   "I know, I was just... I...I..." He stammered.

   "Link, what's wrong? Talk to me."

   "I'm scared," he cried, "she's going to ruin everything for me, she's going to drive her away. I don't want to lose Tyra again, and my daughter, but I'm afraid she will leave when she finds out. Polly is going to drive her away. I don't want to..."

   "Okay, calm down and tell me where you are. Where are you, Link?" He waited for a few seconds before he answered with a sigh.

   "I don't know, I don't know where I am."

   "Can you describe where you are?" I could hear nothing in the background, so he was in the middle of nowhere. "Link?"

   "There's a road, and lots of bushes and trees, and a tall billboard talking about Starbucks and how to get there, nothing else. I'm too far, Jam, you can't reach me right now. I just want you to talk to me."

   "Okay, okay," I sat up anxiously, looking around for my laptop, "talk to me, I'm listening," I stood up to search for my laptop. Where is the stupid laptop when you need one!

   "During the period I was dating Polly, you remember how we always went out clubbing and got drunk? It was how we bonded."

   "Yeah?"

   "After our engagement, remember we went to the countryside for a vacation?" I hummed a reply as Rominic walked into the room. He eyed my panicking state and raised a brow. I put the call on loudspeaker. "I got drunk, really drunk and that's when I poured out my heart to her and admitted the truth that the chances of her having a child was slim. She told me she never really cared and didn't want any little brat anyways. I was hurt by her comment and it pushed me to drink some more. I don't remember a thing but Polly said I was really furious and insisted on driving, and when she protested, I hit her. Lavender, I hit a woman on the face, can you believe it?" No, I do not. "She told me that while I was driving, I hit a young child. She died on spot. I didn't know what to do, I was scared, terrified, everything. Then I drove off, leaving the child motionless on the ground, dead. There was nothing we could do but leave immediately, to avoid getting arrested for murder. I did not want to go to jail... I...I...killed that child..."