Book Six: first day

Lavender's viewpoint

   To say the least, my life was going fantastic. In case you didn't get it, that was sarcasm. As much as I liked how my children were happy, I hated how close they were getting to him and how much I had to pretend like I was okay. Zachary was easier to bribe than I thought. In less than one week, he was already worshipping the ground his father walked on. Why? His father had IQ and I don't. His father let him use his cool laboratory and I didn't even have anything related to a lab. His father gave him a credit card and was teaching him how to drive.

   Don't blame me. He brought up the idea two days earlier and the children were excited. They hadn't actually started the lesson yet, but they were going to. Zachary was going to learn how to drive and Sera was going to learn how to make him submit into becoming her driver for the rest of his life. My little angel already had it all planned out.

   Serenity just wanted to experience the joy of having her brother drive her, Zyaire, the joy of mocking him if he fails and the only thing Zayne cared about was food I wasn't giving him much of, you know, his diet? I couldn't take that away from them.

   It was Monday, the week they were beginning school. Mara, George's wife was coming to pick them up so they would go to school together with her children. She willingly and gleefully accepted to be their driver. The children all did their entry exams and their score shocked the life out of me. I knew they were smart, but I didn't expect what Rominic told me when got the call from the principal. Zachary was qualified to be in fifth grade! Serafina got into fourth grade but the others were in third grade.

   Zachary would have been in six grade, but he had problems with anything else that didn't deal with calculation; way too far for a jump. Plus, he didn't want to be too far away from his siblings. Zayne, Serenity and Zyaire were to be in third grade with George's first daughter, Serafina remained in fourth grade and Zachary stuck to fifth. I was proud of them, even though I did wish they were in the same class.

   So, back to the children going to school. It was also my first day of work as the PA of my enemy. I went for something simple, something to show how much I hate him–if he puts two and two together that is.

   I wore a black lacy camisole under a really, tight black cardigan, black tulip skirt that stopped at my calves and black toe pumps. I made my makeup dark, gave myself a scary look and packed my hair into a side swept wavy ponytail, a messy one. I made the edge of my hair black, especially the front side. Call it weird but I was pissed and the color helped me relax.

   I stood outside with my hands in the pocket of my cardigan, looking at Zachary babbling on and on about the new toy he created the other day and how he would impress his teachers with it. Rominic stood at his car, leaning on it with hands in the pockets of his pants, eyes fixed on my son. He was listening attentively, clearly loving how joyful the boy making gestures was. He was handling the father thing like a champ, more than I expected of him.

   I won't say I wasn't bothered by his ugliness... Oh, you know what I mean by ugly! I wished I could snack that Mr. Cool smile that refused to leave his face or the gentle innocence in his eyes when he was nothing but that. I hated the way his voice sounded like nail to a chalkboard or my stepmother's singing voice. His stupid cream hair always had this stubbornness and would never lay flat on his head. He had natural extremely curly hair, almost like waves but not waves and at the same time, not curls. He used to struggle with it all the time, but I would help him put his hair down enough.

Too bad I wasn't helping him.

   The locks spread across his forehead and covered his eyes down to his lips. Imagine taper fade with curly tips hanging down the right side of a man's face, over his eye and down to the beginning of his upper lips with few noticable curls across your forehead. He couldn't gel the hair to hide it, the stubborn thing would always find a way to break free. Then, I convinced him to try the haircut and it looked really hot on him.