sixteen

IT HAD BEEN A FEW WEEKS SINCE ROBBY AND CASSIE HAD ARRIVED IN EVERGREEN AND WITH EACH PASSING WEEK, ELIZABETH WAS GROWING WEAKER BY THE DAY

cassie was afraid of what was next. she wasn't ready to say goodbye to her mom. it had felt like she had just gotten her back and now she was leaving her.

❝hey.❞ the blonde turned to meet the gaze of robby. ❝hi.❞ cassie smiled as she lifted her head from her mother's bed.

cassie hadn't been sleeping much at night and she usually slept when her mother was sleeping. the teen only leaves her mom at night but she spends all day with her.

❝how is she?❞ robby asked as he sat beside cassie and handed her the cup of coffee. ❝she's getting worse.❞ cassie whispered as she tried to fight back the tears.

❝her breathing is slower and so is her heart beat.❞ cassie explained as she watched her mother sleep. ❝the doctors told aidan that they think this is it.❞ her voice cracked as she looked down.

❝i thought they said she had 2 more months?❞ robby asked, confused by what cassie was saying. ❝her cancer is very aggressive which means it has been killing her more faster.❞ cassie sobbed as she covered her face.

❝hey.❞ robby whispered as he brought the girl into his arms. ❝i can't lose her, rob. she's the only parent i have left that actually cares for me. i can't lose her.❞ cassie cried into his chest.

❝i'm so sorry, cass.❞ robby muttered as he kissed her head. a knock emitted from the door causing robby to look to see it was aidan and brooke.

aidan's heart broke at the sight of his little sister crying. he had seen the girl go through so much and he wished that he could take all her pain away and put it all on him.

❝do you want a minute alone?❞ robby asked as he rubbed cassie's back. ❝if you don't mind.❞ brooke smiled causing robby to nod. ❝i'll be in the cafeteria if you need me.❞ robby told the girl before he exited the room.

❝i'm guessing you heard.❞ aidan breathed out a he sat beside his sister with brooke on the other side of cassie. ❝yeah, the doctor should learn how to whisper.❞ cassie remarked causing the two adults to chuckle.

❝yeah, they really should. it's not very good patient care.❞ aidan remarked causing cassie to chuckle lightly. ❝there's that smile.❞ aidan whispered softly.

❝i'm really scared, aidan. what's gonna happen when mom dies? will they make me go live with dad?❞ cassie asked, referring to child protective services.

❝no, i was thinking that either addy or i will adopt you guys. i don't want any of us to be split up and knowing dad, he'd take you, dakota and finn. i won't let that happen.❞ aidan explained.

❝you want to adopt me?❞ cassie whispered as she felt her heart swell. ❝of course i do. i've already been taking care of you for a few years now. might as well make it official.❞ aidan shrugged.