twenty-two

❝YOU'RE HEALING WONDERFULLY, CASSIE

YOU'RE HEALING WONDERFULLY, CASSIE. THE ONLY CONCERN I HAVE IS ON YOUR SPINE AND ITS CONNECTING NERVES. THE DOCTOR INFORMED THE FAMILY.

❝what's wrong with her spine?❞ riley asked worriedly as she looked down at cassie. the teenager had only been awake for a couple of hours and within those hours, cassie hadn't been able to feel a single thing in her legs.

❝the nerves in her spine are not sending any impulses to the muscles in her legs which is why she can't feel anything in her feet. we think it'a because one of her spinal fragments is broken, which is why we want to go in and fix it as soon as possible.❞

❝another surgery?❞ brynn asked as she stood up. ❝it could help her walk again.❞ the doctor explained to the girl. ❝that's what you said with the initial surgery and yet here we are.❞ finn spat angrily.

❝i said that there was a slight chance she could walk again. i never promised any of you that she'd walk again.❞ the doctor told them angrily. ❝it's not doctor torres' fault that i can't walk.❞ cassie spoke, her voice hoarse from the tube that helped her breath.

❝she and the other doctors did everything they could to help me walk again but i woke up and i can't.❞ cassie frowned before she looked towards riley. ❝can i speak with doctor torres alone?❞

riley stared at her for a minute before finally nodding. ❝let's give them some space and call addy while we wait.❞ the siblings nodded before saying their goodbyes to the girl.

❝why can't i feel anything in my legs?❞ cassie asked as she crossed her arms over her chest. ❝we think you have a broken spinal fragments that's interfering with one of your nerves. if we do surgery, we might be able to get you to walk again.❞

❝what's the chance of the surgery actually working and i walk again?❞ cassie asked as she played with the hospital band around her wrist. ❝its a fifty-fifty chance.❞ doctor torres told her, hesitating on telling her what they found out the day she came in.

❝i can see there's something else you want to say so just say it.❞ cassie told her softly. ❝when you came in, we found out you were a few weeks pregnant but due to the severity of your injuries, you lost the baby.❞

cassie felt her heart drop after hearing that she had lost the baby she didn't know she had.

❝we did everything we could to try and save the baby but it died a week after you came in. i'm so sorry cassie.❞ the blonde felt herself tearing up as she mourned the loss of her unborn child.

❝i was pregnant?❞ cassie asked, her voice cracking as she tried to fight the tears that were threatening to spill.

❝i'm so sorry, cassie.❞ the blonde began to cry causing dr torres to wrap her arms around the girl as she tried her best to comfort her.