Chapter 2- To be a Chairman

"You should always keep your vassals in check. If a district works behind your back not following your will, the entire empire will crumble." What is this old man blabbering about? We're just playing chess.

"Ah, I'll keep that in mind." In my next move, I moved the knight in anticipation of needing to corner the queen. My brother in my previous life was a rookie in the sport of chess. I remember how many times he made me cry for losing each and every single match we had.

"Hm. At least I know you're being tactful. You don't know what's happening under your wing." He did not make a move. He just stared at it. "I think you're wise enough to learn from your brother's mistake"

Oh, so he's talking about the rebelling district. Shin-Ah's clan had always been like those aristocrats rebelling against the Imperial family. They were responsible for prostitution at some point, and the on-going war with the gangsters in between districts. I think their territories spread across Seoul. But they had connections with the Japanese Yakuzas as well which allowed prospering businesses in Tokyo. Hong Kong, which became the station for travelers, was not overlooked by the Lees.

It's not just that. My family had already spread their influences all-over South-East Asia. It's still too early for his businesses to prosper but it was definitely a smart move. Building a relationship with the ASEAN countries will definitely benefit the Group.

"Enough with the metaphors, father. Are you perhaps talking about Baek-Ho?" Wait a minute... Baek-Ho... Baek...Yoon...Ho??? Son of a pig and tofu! Don't tell me I'll have to deal with one of the characters of the story? I lost my interest in playing.

"I don't have knowledge about that group but I'll assure you, father, I'll take charge of that group soon and they will only heed to my will." His giant laughter followed. "All I know is that our group is slowly losing control over Baek-Ho. I'll establish authority once again and make sure to let them know who's in charge."

"Haist. If only I knew in an earlier date that you were beyond your older brother, I would've taken you in immediately. But in this trying time, it's better to surprise the competing companies with a secret card that I was able to produce."

I stared at him blankly. If Shin-Ah was one of the real characters, life would've been easier for me knowing her past. Ah, wait a second... I don't trust that the author will reveal more of her personality so having her as one of the main characters will only be a waste.

Yes, I have suspicions. But until Sung Jin-Woo and I meet, there's no way confirming if I am in that world or not. There were no gates in Shin-Ah's memory and in the recent investigation that I have done myself. In which possibility is this?

"In a few days, you'll be tested."

"What do you mean?"

"The board and the other groups, will see if you really are qualified." What is it this time? "This is yet to be the hardest test a chairman of LSY Group will take. You..."

I...?

"will have to eliminate a long-time enemy of the LSY Group."

Ah. It was not an unexpected event and luckily, Shin-Ah had been preparing her emotions for this...By simply locking them all away. My home girl mastered the art of completely erasing the ability to feel. It was not her fate to take over the entire company but she needed it to survive. And her emotions will only be a hindrance to living.

"Who...do I need to kill?" His eyes widened in astonishment. A company that specializes in producing the best and most cutting-edge technology, from gadgets to household appliances, is in desperate need of a chairman assassin to lead the corporation down the brutal path to power.