Chapter 18 - The Minister's dead

The ride home was fast... and silent. But would you look at that? The damn potato beat me in the race to get home!

"Hey," he said, raising his hand while casually chewing on a piece of bread. My grandfather, with his dubious smile, sat there with Jin-Woo, amused by both of us

They're best buddies, alright.

"Whatever."

I rolled my eyes and saw Jeuda, Seoyeon, and Tsuki running down the stairs to greet me with a smile on their faces.

"You seem to be energetic today." I picked up the cat and walked along with the two girls.

"My brother called. He said he'll be staying here for the summer. I'm so happy." She brought her hands together with hope in her eyes.

I smiled gently remembering that night where SukYoung held me in his arms, his tears falling down my face. My brother loved me as his real sister and as his only recognized family.

"Aren't you supposed to be changing your clothes already? We'll meet your brother at your parents funeral."

I immediately regretted saying the word "funeral." Seoyeon's cute face had lost its smile, and she now had a melancholy expression.

"Ah. That's right." She lowered her head and walked away with Jeuda to change her clothes. I didn't mean to do that. I wasn't thinking. I stood there almost dumbfounded.

"You're incredibly good with kids," Jin-Woo said as he stood alongside me. My grandfather then placed his hand on my shoulder to console me.

"I'll be changing clothes as well." My grandfather headed upstairs.

"Well--"

"Oh just quit it." I looked at Jin-Woo with crossed brows. "Whatever it is that you have to say, don't. Just leave already, will you?"

"I failed my promise, so I'm here to make it up to you," he said, softly caressing Tsuki's head. "You two look almost identical. Cute."

"I told you to leave."

"Why are you always so harsh on me? Didn't you say I'm the master here? Have some respect. If your task was indeed to praise me and make me feel like a God, well, you suck at it."

I scoffed as I followed him with my gaze. He went back to the sofa and crossed his legs. I stood there, glaring at him, making sure to let him know I didn't like what he said.

"So, what does the master want?" I sarcastically said.

"It's a mess from here on so you better prepare. Or better yet, quit."

"What does that even mean?"

"Yesterday wasn't just an accident. They knew you were coming."

"Me?" Of course, I was taken aback. What did the incident yesterday have to do with me? I had only been there once before yesterday. And how did they know I was on their way? This is spiraling out of control.

"You wouldn't come out so they lured you out from hiding. They used the kid."

My eyes widened as he continued.

"They knew you had strict security going around. So they sent an innocent child to grab you by hand and take you to them. They must've been monitoring your activity even before you became chairman--"

"Shin-Ah." Fabian walked towards us with a serious face. "The board wishes to talk to you."

The timing is quite odd. I immediately went up to my room and wore an earpiece which immediately allows the user to be transported to a virtual space where anyone can meet. This device was produced by Aeon tech in collaboration with a virtual video games developer and a telecommunication company.