Chapter 19 - The Asset

WARNING: Mention of harm towards infants. I apologize in advance if you'll hate me for this.

~♠·☬†☬·♠~

"Humans are weak and if you put them in one arena, they'll eventually think of ways to overthrow the other. For survival? For power? For revenge?"

He slides the door to an old room... That used to be mine. The bed was still there. Old drawings posted on the walls. No photos left nor clothes. The only proof of my existence was this room and the drawings of my clan and my cat.

"Your mother used to be a researcher at Aeon tech. Even though she was still at college during that time, Aeon found her to be very smart at handling technology especially in aircraft and artillery. Aeon, at the time, was rumored to be producing weapons that are strong and plenty enough to nuke an entire continent.

We still don't know the motive or where they plan to release it but the important thing is for the asset to be found."

" The asset?"

" Ah. " He nodded. "Jin-Woo kept copies of his files here."

He opened my drawer and snatched a folder of what seems to be a file from a research institution. Aeon was on the front cover.

"A source handed this to us." He offered it to me and without hesitation, I flipped through the pages.

Other than data and test results from a specimen they called "asset", it kept mentioning "reference:" then a page of a book called "Yoona's Journal."

"Where's the journal?"

"Jin-Woo has it stored somewhere even I can't access it."

" You knew my mom. But you didn't know who I was. It doesn't make sense."

"We found out about you when you announced your existence to the world as LSY chairman. The police force had acquired this case five years ago but it did not mention anything about you. Coincidentally, it lead Jin-Woo to this place which he bought just a few months ago.  He said he's scared that Yoona has hidden something much more disturbing than a nuke that could blow off anytime the 'asset' touches it."

" You know the asset is not a thing?"

" But an actual human being, yes. The data shows how the DNA of that new born specifically reacts to a pathogen which can consequently disrupt the lock that holds the bomb from blasting off to a designated location."

I'm... I'm a bomb! What the frick? This world just keeps getting weirder and weirder! Shikshu! What do I do! Who wants to use me? Who's an ally and who wants me to nuke what country? Ughhh! This is bad. Does my father know? Is Jong-In a good guy? Is that why Jin-Ho wants me to shut down entirely?

Too many questions. Too many questions. Ughhh! I can't think!

"Now you know how dangerous that person is, we have to know where they are. Do you understand?"

"Wait a minute. You're telling me that my mother responsible for all of this?"

"Yes. We also suspect that it's not just the company, but some members of the government behind it. The project may also be funded by other west-opposing countries."

"That's impossible! My mother would never do that! And this," I held the folder up. "Who in their right minds would attach a bomb to a person? This information is misleading."

"The missile is currently nowhere to be found. Which only leads us to a conclusion that it's hidden in the mountain where war broke out a few months ago."

"Hey, don't avoid me. I'm telling you, my mother has nothing to do with this."

"It's cruel to do an experiment on a child but believe me," he flipped through the last page. "It's much more disturbing than you think."