Chapter 9- Badump Badump

I opened my eyes but the sudden flash of light was making it hard for me to see anything. I blocked my hand against the light and tried to sit down but somebody held me by my shoulder.

"Shin-Ah unnie. Please refrain from making large movements. You might get dizzy or something." Jin-Ah?

"I'll bring in soup for you." It's another woman's voice.

Then followed the voice of a man, "I'll help you with that."

I heard footsteps walking further away from me. My eyes were still adjusting but slowly, I recognized the figure in front of me was indeed Sung Jin-Ah. Huh, so it wasn't a dream. That reminds me.

I almost jumped out of bed but Jin-Ah held me down again.

"I have to go back to my grandfather. He's in the hospital and I have to go back there now."

"Unnie, it's all fine. Oppa already went to the hospital to check on your grandfather. He says your 'ojiisan' is fine and is requesting you to rest for a while." My shoulders fell.

No. He's not fine. What if the holy water of life does not work on him anymore because Fate and Death cannot be defied? I curled into a ball hugging my knees. Shin-Ah felt alone all these years. 

Fabian tried to be the family she needed but Shin-Ah shoved that thought at the back of her head to not grow too attached since she doesn't want to be abandoned again. And now that Ojiisan is here, I'm afraid we won't be able to spend as much time together. I don't think we, Lee or Yoon Shin-Ah, will be able to handle that.

"He's fine now. Trust me." My gaze was drawn immediately to the man who spoke. Jin-Woo was dressed in his distinctive black sweater and long black pants, with his mom and father behind him, holding a dish of soup. "I'll take over from here."

With his words, everyone else in the room left leaving us here alone. He placed the tray in front of me and sat right next to me. I just stared at him blankly hoping he'd tell me more about my grandfather's situation.

"How are you feeling?" There were no shadows and his mana levels were so low, I almost couldn't feel it. He looks...a bit more alive in my eyes today.

"How's my grandfather?" I said it almost instantly. He crossed his arms and looked at me with a light expression. I can't help but be distracted by his appearance. He's so gorgeous, the sun might just wish to hide behind the clouds because of this man outshining it.

"He's doing well now but he won't feel good about hearing you all worked up and exhausting yourself. Now eat."

I was hesitant to look away. God is gracing my eyes with this wonderful piece of art. But he's right. Ojiisan will be worse off if he hears I'm not eating well. 

"You were crying in your sleep." My spoon paused right before reaching my mouth. The memories I gathered from last night's dream rushed in my head. 

"I haven't seen him since I was eight. That's why it's very important for him to live long. What did the doctor say?" I adjusted my position as I anticipated his response.

"The doctor said he'll be discharged after a few days."

"Yokatta." Finally, I can breathe lightly. Was it because of the holy water of life? But he said it doesn't have an effect on him. 

"You meeting him last night must've encouraged him to get back on his feet and gather his strength so he can live. That funny old man."

"You think so?" I smiled looking at my palms. It held his hands last night and they were cold. I wonder if my grandpa's hands are warmer this time. It doesn't matter what healed him, I guess. What's important is he's fine now.