002

BREATHE -002

BREATHE -002

The last class of the week was Defense Against the Dark Arts. Everyone arrived at the classroom before Lupin. Diana had avoided her friends and brothers the rest of the week. In the classroom, there were no desks, only an old wardrobe at the front of the room. She watched as Lupin walked in, passed her, and gave her a smile. She had been with her Professor, avoiding her friends, and doing homework.

The wardrobe started to shake as Professor Lupin spoke. "Intriguing, isn't it? Would anyone like to venture a guess...as to what is inside?"

"That's a boggart, this is," Dean said, staring at the wardrobe.

"Very good, Mr. Thomas. Now, can anyone tell what a boggart looks like?"

"No one knows." Hermione voiced making Ron jump, and glance at her before turning to Harry.

"When did she get here?" He mumbled.

Hermione continues. "Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a person fears the most. That's what makes them so—"

Lupin nodded and cut in. "So terrifying, yes, yes." He walked in front of the class with his hands in his pockets. "Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart." The wardrobe shakes again. "Let's practice it now. Without wands, please. After me, Riddikulus."

"Riddikulus!" The class said.

"Very good. A little louder and very clear. Listen...Riddikulus!"

The class said again, but louder. "Riddikulus!"

Diana sent a look at her cousin who had muttered. "This class is ridiculous."

"Very good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you truly enjoy. Let me explain. Neville, you join me, please?"

Neville pointed at himself nervously. "M-Me?"

Lupin nodded and Neville made his way toward the man. "Hello. Neville, what frightens you most of all?"

Neville said something so quietly nobody heard it.

"Sorry?" Lupin said.

Neville took a deep breath and said. "P-Professor Snape."

Everyone laughed including Diana as Lupin smiled amused. "Professor Snape. Yes, frightens all. You live with your grandmother."