006

LEARNING FROM THE BEST-006

Christmas went faster than Diana would have liked. She and Sam went home for the holiday, joining their mother's and grandma's company. Her mother, Joanna was a beautiful singer. They all sang and danced around the house as their Gran made her homemade food.

Now, Diana was sitting on the couch in the common room with her brother and Harry, eating sugar quills she got from Fred. For Christmas, Harry had received a Firebolt from some anonymous person. Ron was furious with Hermione who had gone to McGonagall with the thought of Sirius Black had sent the broom to Harry.

Diana knew that her best friend had good intentions and she did agree with her, but she would never tell Harry and Ron. Ron and Harry avoided the bushy-haired girl, sitting farther down the Gryffindor table and in classes. Diana still talks and sits with Hermione, she isn't going to let boys keep her away from her best friend.

"Had a good Christmas, Harry, Diana?" A voice said from behind them.

Diana looked up from the sugar quill she was struggling to open to see Oliver Wood standing in front of them. Crookshanks was curled up on her lap, purring; his head nuzzled in her stomach.

Wood didn't wait for an answer as he sat down next to Diana, lowered his voice, and said, "I've been doing some thinking over Christmas, Harry. After the last match, you know. If the dementors come to the next one...I mean..we can't afford you to—well—-"

Wood broke off, looking awkward. He grabbed the sugar quill out of Diana's hand and opened it for her. She smiled at him in thanks before sucking on it.

"I'm working on it," Harry said quickly. "Professor Lupin said he'd train me and Dia to ward off dementors. He thinks it is best if Dia learns it too, just in case. We should be starting this week. He said he's had time after Christmas."

"Ah," Wood said, his expression clearing. "Well, in that case—I didn't want to lose you as Seeker, Harry, or a Chaser, Diana. And have you ordered a new broom yet?"

"No," Harry said, taking a sugar quill from his friend when she handed one to him. 

"What! You'd better get a move on, you know—you can't ride that Shooting Star against Ravenclaw!"

"He got a Firebolt for Christmas," Ron pipped up, finally announcing his presence.

"A Firebolt? No! Seriously? A—a real Firebolt?" Wood exclaimed loudly.

"Don't get excited, Oliver," Harry said, gloomily. "I haven't got it anymore. It was confiscated."

He looked to Diana to explain what happened making the girl roll her eyes. "Hermione thinks it was jinxed. So she went to Minnie, who took it."