1 Year 8 Months 4 Days

1 year, 8 months, and 4 days later

"I'm not saying that I'm not happy for you, Shelby," Camila spoke in exasperation into her cell phone. "I'm just asking that you think this through. I could get behind supporting you when it was just showing him affection in return for nice gifts but are you sure you want to marry him?" The loud echo of Camila's stilettos clicking against the pristine marble floors filled the posh office building. 

Shelby had only been formally engaged to Robert, the same man that had paid for their infamous trip to St. Barts, for about four days. And she had yet to shut up about it. 

Camila wanted to be happy for her best friend — she really did. But when the redhead had first approached her about having a sugar daddy she had described it as casual, harmless fun. Marrying him seemed like the exact opposite of casual. 

"Listen Shel, if you're happy then I'm happy. I just want to make sure you fully understand what you're getting yourself into."

"Camila, I love him. I know that may seem hard to believe given how things started. Trust me, I didn't expect this either. But we're here and I truly just couldn't be happier about it. Is it too much to ask for my best friend's blessing for my happiness?"

Camila sighed into the phone.

"He really makes you that happy?"

"Yes."

"And you really do love him?"

"Yes!"

"Then you have my blessing, Shelby." Camila pulled the phone away from her ear slightly as the redhead squealed loudly on the other end. "You know you didn't need my blessing, right?" Camila giggled.

"I know...but I wanted it. I know you've only met him a couple of times but I promise he's a great guy with a big heart."

"And a big wallet."

"Well, yes...that is an added bonus."

Camila stepped into her private office, noticing the stack of client files sitting on her large desk and sighing. She looked up from the files on her desk and took in the view of downtown Miami instead. She much preferred that view.

"You know what? I think you should have dinner with us. You, me, and Robert. So you two can get to know each other better."

"Whatever floats your boat, Shel." Camila sat down at her desk and glanced at her computer screen — one email in particular making her heart beat just a little faster. "Hey, Shelby...I gotta go. I'll talk to you later though, okay?"

"Okay...and I'm holding you to that dinner!"

"Can't wait," Camila chuckled before ending the call. Her chocolate brown eyes immediately flashed back to the email on her screen from the CEO of the company. She wasn't sure why she still got so nervous around him. She had worked at this marketing firm for a while — quickly climbing her way up the ladder to damn-near the top of the company. Clearly he saw potential in her. Then again, anyone would be made nervous by the words on her screen.

Come to my office ASAP

She took a sip from the water bottle she kept on her desk and double checked her appearance in her compact mirror before standing up, straightening her pencil skirt and mustering up all of the confidence she had before taking the elevator up to the next floor of the building where the CEO worked. She anxiously tapped the pointed toe of her high heel against the floor as she rode the elevator up.

He didn't seem to be upset when she finally stepped into his office, though. In fact, he seemed to be smiling. She figured that had to be a good sign. 

"Camila! Please, sit down." He motioned to the chairs that sat just opposite his desk. The office of the CEO, Leroy Diaz, was a stark contrast to Camila's office. To be honest, the only things they had in common were the floor-to-ceiling windows that overlooked the city and the sleek marble floors. Aside from that, Leroy opted for the more classical look. His desk was a dark cherry wood and the chair Camila was currently sitting in was a large leather armchair. Camila's office, on the other hand, was incredibly modern. Her desk was made of glass and metal and could convert to a standing desk with the push of a button. Leroy's office felt more inviting but it also felt more expensive.

"What can I do for you?" Camila asked with a smile. 

"Oh, what a question!" he chuckled. "I wanted to pick your brain about something...a potential opportunity."

"I'm all ears."

"Well you see, when I started this company I had no idea it would take off like this. I had hopes and dreams, obviously. But this kind of success was always a distant 'maybe someday' kind of goal. Now that we've seen this kind of success here in Miami, I can't help but wonder what could be next for LD Marketing."

"So you want to expand?"

"Precisely," he replied with a smile. "Our headquarters here in Miami has done an incredible job at covering the south east markets and I definitely want to continue to cultivate the incredible business that we've developed here in this city. But I think it's time we try to branch out. I want to reach more northern markets and I think the best way to do that is with a north office."

"North?"

"The upper half of the United States and some of Canada."

"So a New York office?"

"I wish," Leroy chuckled to himself. "Don't get me wrong, LD Marketing is doing very well...but New York is expensive. Trust me, I looked into opening up a secondary office there. It's cheaper to open in Canada."

"...Canada?"

"Toronto, specifically. I want to open our official second branch of LD Marketing in Toronto. And if you're willing, I want you to be the one running it."

"What?" Camila was fairly certain her jaw was on the floor. "Y-you want me to run it? As in...move to Toronto?"

"Only if you're willing. If you'd like, you can stay right where you are and continue on as normal and we can find someone else to fill the Toronto position. Though, I must tell you, this new role would come with some very pretty perks."

"...Like?"

"Well, since we'd be making you move you'd get a percentage of your housing costs covered by the company. You'd also get a company car. And a substantial raise, obviously. Your title would change as well. Instead of being a manager you would officially become an executive. I haven't determined the exact title yet, but you get the gist."

"I...I don't know what to say. Thank you for even considering me. I'll definitely have to think everything over but this is definitely an opportunity that I'm honored to have been given."

"I'm not expecting an answer right now. I completely understand that this isn't something you can just decide on a whim. Feel free to think it over...but I'm afraid I will need an answer by Friday morning."

"This Friday?" Camila choked out. They were already halfway through Wednesday.

"Yes. This Friday. I'm sorry, I'd love to give you more time but we're announcing the second location during a company-wide meeting Friday afternoon and I'd like to be able to announce your new role at that time, should you choose to take it."

Camila swallowed hard and nodded, trying to be as nonchalant as possible as she wiped her sweaty palms on the front of her skirt. 

"I'll have an answer for you by Friday morning," she assured him with a nod. He dismissed her from her office and Camila wasted no time in typing out and sending a text to Shelby as soon as she got back into the elevator.

C: Any chance we can schedule that dinner we discussed earlier for tonight? I need to talk to you. It's urgent.