007

TESTING THE FIREBOLT-007

Through the weeks before the match between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, something happens between Hermione and Ron that lead to the friendship 'ending'. Diana could honestly care less about her brother and best friend fighting again and was more focused on the stress of the Quidditch game, Lupin's lesson, and all the homework she needed to finish.

"Look at the balance on it!" Madame Hooch exclaimed. She was still overseeing Gryffindor practices to keep an eye on Harry with the whole Black thing going on. Diana snorted at her expression. "If the Nimbus series has a fault, it's a slight list to the tail-end—you often find they develop a drag after a few years. They've updated the handle, too, a bit slimmer than Cleansweeps, reminds me of the Silver Arrow—a pity they've stopped making them, I learned to fly on one, and a very fine old broom it was too..."

She continued in this vein for some time, until Wood said, awkwardly. "Erm—Madam Hooch? Is it okay if Harry had the firebolt back? Only we need to practice..."

"Oh—right—here you are, then, Potter," Madam Hooch said, handing the boy back his broom. "I'll sit over here with Weasley and Scamander..."

She, Ron, and Kodaline, who both came to watch the practice, left the pitch to sit in the stadium, and the Gryffindor team gathered around Wood for his final instructions for tomorrow's match.

"Harry, I've just found out who Ravenclaw is playing as Seeker. It's Cho Chang. She's the fourth year, and she's pretty good...I hoped she wouldn't be fit, she's had some problems with injuries..." Wood scowled his displeasure that Cho Chang had made a full recovery, then said, "On the other hand, she rides a Comet Two Sixty, which is going to look like a joke next to the Firebolt."  He gave Harry's broom a look of fervent admiration, then said, "Okay, everyone, let's go—"

Diana mounted her Nimbus and took off. She eyed Harry, who rode his Firebolt for the first time. He was careful, at first, but soon he got confidence.

"Harry, I'm letting out the Snitch!" Wood called.

Diana grinned as she watched Harry race a Bludger toward the goalposts; he out-stripped it easily. She cheered quietly as Alicia came over.

"Ana, stop staring at your boy and get practicing!" she laughed and soared away. Diana just grinned and shook her head, racing after Alicia.

***

Diana left with Harry for breakfast the next morning. As they entered the Great hall, heads turned in the direction of the Firebolt that was in the boy's hand and there was a good deal of excited muttering. Diana smirked with enormous satisfaction, that the Slytherin Quidditch team was all looking thunderstruck.