Chapter Ten, A Hero's Gift

"I'm so sorry, Y/N... I'm sorry, I should've been there to keep you safe. This is all my doing. " Herobrine said to you as he healed what was left of your wounds. You were sitting up on the red covers of the bed, letting him do so. "I should've hunted Steve down and killed him when I had the chance... but instead I let him hurt you. I can't believe I allowed this to happen. Oh, sweetheart, I'm so sorry you had to see all of that. I'm so sorry you were left alone." Pure white light shined from hands as he did so, being as gentle as he could when he pressed against your skin. You didn't look at him. Your eyes were fixated and frozen as you stared at nothing in particular. Your throat still had a tight knot as you kept thinking about what had happened. Part of you still couldn't believe Steve betrayed you. And the other half was still ridiculing yourself for being so blind. Mostly because Steve was right. You should've seen it coming. You should've known better. "I..." You started, trying to find the words. Herobrine made himself comfortable next to you in bed, draping the sheets over your healed body. He sat and looked at you attentively, invested in what you had to say. His face was still full of concern. When you continued, a tear rolled down your cheek, "It's all my fault." You managed to say. "You were right about him all along... and... and I didn't listen."

"Don't blame yourself for my mistakes." Herobrine said sternly, angered by the idea of you feeling guilty. He wrapped his arms around you, bringing you into a tight embrace. "He's never going to lay a finger on you again. Look at me... Y/N... please look at me." All the other times he asked you to do that, it was in a forceful manner. But this time, this time it sounded like a request rather than a command. You slowly turned your head, eyes meeting his. "This was not your fault." He whispered, fingers moving a strand of hair behind your ear. "I was the one who brought you here, into my life. If not for that, you'd still be sitting back in your cottage with your lonesome. Of course, even if you were lonely, you wouldn't be as traumatized and hurt as you are now. I'm sorry I couldn't keep you safe from him. I'd kill a thousand men just to revive that mistake. And believe me, I know you don't care for me as much as I do you, but sweetheart... please... don't surround yourself with guilt on my account." He told you, his hand resting gently on your warm cheek. You didn't know what to do when he sighed and remained there for a few moments. You knew he felt bad about what happened, and since you were so shaken up, you had mixed feelings about what obligated you shakily to place your hand over his. Even Herobrine seemed shocked by your action, not that he complained. "T-Thank you... thank you for saving me. I just... I don't need your pity." You said, wanting to curl up into a ball and die right then and there.

He smiled softly at your words. Even though they were a rough thanks, it was enough for him to see that you were grateful. And you were. You didn't deny it. Although you still had some anger towards him it was nothing compared to the anger and fear you held towards Steve. "You have beautiful eyes." He said out of nowhere, trying to lift your spirits since he could see right through your strong demeanor. You breathed deeply, knowing that your face turned pink. You were still frowning, but deep down you appreciated what he was trying to do. "I know you're still frightened, sweetheart. But please... won't you allow me to comfort you?" He didn't really give you a chance to answer. Before you knew it, the red stone lamps above you were dimmed. Nothing but the white glow of his eyes could be seen in the darker room as you both laid down. By now, night had consumed the day. You felt his breath on your neck as his fingers traced over your collarbone. The way he looked at you was much more velvety than you were used to. As for his hands, they rubbed your shoulders and gently began to message your curves. You felt drowsy from the feeling. With your eyes half-closed and your body close to falling asleep, you reluctantly submitted to his touch. He took it as an invitation to softly, sensually grope your waist, but he didn't overstep his bounds, no. He didn't force you into anything you'd regret or protest. Every movement he made, he was sure that you were comfortable. And you were a little ashamed to admit that this kind of treatment felt nice. He said nothing when he was being affectionate, for he was likely lost in his own world. When he planted a goodnight kiss on your tender lips, you felt your inner organs melt just like the night you first met him at the desert temple.