Chapter Twenty One, Blind Spots

It took a lot of effort to completely feel better. After a while, you felt that it was easier to get out of bed, get dressed, and go to breakfast. You were no longer waiting until noon to begin the day. Instead, you started to read again, which felt nice since Erebus offered you other book options besides the ones you had read more than once. One time, since you were bored, you decided to do some cooking in the kitchen much to Erebus' mortification. He kept insisting that he'd cook whatever you wanted, so you had to argue with him that you were a big girl who could take care of herself every now and then. You were just making cookies, it wasn't like you were going to burn down the whole mansion. Eventually, you got tired of it so you came up with a compromise by putting him to work and having him mix the dough while you rolled little sections of it to put on the pan. In the end you were left with at least four dozen, which you shared evenly among the mansion's staff. At first the skeletons were hesitant. They remembered all the times you had tried to escape and thought that perhaps you laced the treats with something deadly. Captain didn't care. He gave you that same stubborn, tough look before yanking one away from you. After he took the first bite, the other followed by his example. Herobrine ate some too, even telling you that he underestimated your cooking abilities beforehand. You noticed how much livelier things were now that you were giving life another shot. It felt good to wake up with him beside you, knowing that the day wouldn't be a burden, rather, it would be a joy.

You still visited the graves of Steve and Prysm to pay respects every now and then. Sometimes Herobrine would accompany you even though you assumed it would be awkward since you figured he held no remorse for what he did. To your surprise, he once brought a small bouquet of pink tulips to accompany Steve's headstone. When you looked at him with confusion, he shrugged and said, "I hated him, envied him, and shunned him, but that doesn't mean I can't respect him." His words were strange. It was almost as if he was making an excuse for showing his softer side. You knew that deep down that wasn't the truth. It might've seemed like he said it just to win your affectionate gaze, but somehow you knew just by looking at his mannerisms that he felt.... sorry. Either that or he simply wanted closure just the same as you did.

The day after he danced with you, he left a short note for you in the bedroom after breakfast that read:

"There's something special waiting for you in the courtyard. Hope you like it, sweetheart. :)"

-H

You were excited as you raced down the stairs. The guards were no longer afraid of you, no longer paranoid of you escaping again so they just stood back and watched you do so without a care in the world. Herobrine had loosened his grip on your freedom after bonding with you. The units of skeletons were no longer doubled, you were now allowed to walk outside as long as you stayed within the mansion's outer perimeter, and even Erebus lightened up by giving you some more alone time. Herobrine was likely already in the nether by now, doing whatever it was he did in there. You weren't really sure why he made frequent trips, but you assumed it had something to do with the many mobs that lived there. Anyways, you were brought back to reality when the feeling of the bright, warm sun shined onto your face and your hair. Even though summer had arrived, the trees didn't dare brown or shrivel. The air was cool and the blue sky couldn't have been clearer. You wore a brownish red leather jacket with a matching pair of simple trousers and navy blue boots. Half of your hair was tied up, allowing your eyes to look up at the sky without any stray strands of hair poking your eyelids. It was quiet. Even though there were ordinary skeletons with iron armor standing guard at the gate, they didn't make a sound. At first you were puzzled since it seemed as if the courtyard was barren and empty. Just then, a neigh along with the thumping of hooves caught your attention.

You whirled your head around, eyes watering with realization. There, on the other side of the concrete path was none other than a familiar grey horse with white spots that resembled specs of freshly fallen snow. "Speckle!" You whispered under your breath, a knot forming in your throat. Your brain shut off in that moment. The only thing driving your actions was your heart, causing everything else to blur as your feet slammed onto the stone. You ran without hesitation, the excitement in your blood pounding throughout your face and your head like a drum. Speckle galloped too, just as excited to see someone that wasn't a skeleton. You could've outran her in that fleeting moment if you desired to. You felt as if you had enough adrenaline to run all the way to the mountains and back. Once she was close, your hands shot to her mane, where you entangled your fingers in her silver locks. There were no words. You couldn't speak as cold, happy tears escaped your eyes. "Speckle! I missed you! I missed you so much old friend!" You murmured into her neck, wrapping your arms around her collar to prevent your legs from giving away. If not for that, you would've let yourself fall. It might've seemed silly to cry over a horse, but to you it didn't matter anymore. A joyous neigh entered the air, causing you to half-laugh half-sob.