Chapter Twenty, Origins & Empathy

You didn't know how long you stood there. It could've been a few seconds or a few minutes, yet it somehow felt like a lifetime. You didn't know what had come over you. Your mind was telling you to pull away at an impulse, but your heart was disagreeing. The warmth of his hands and his lips made you feel like you weren't kissing Herobrine at all. The man holding you wasn't the same man that took you away. He wasn't the same person that had beaten you when you had refused him the key to your heart. This was the kiss you had imagined. This was the kind of passion you had hoped to receive. It wasn't rough or forced like the other times he had you cornered. Never before had you experienced the indescribable sensation. When it deepened farther, you heard a light purr echo from his throat. He knew you liked it, that idea alone was enough to make him hum with satisfaction. There was no whimper, no yelp, and no voice. You were utterly speechless as the kiss morphed into a tight hug. In your head, you figured that it was his favorite thing to do with you. Since your dress left some skin exposed on your shoulders and back, that was the first place his fingers began to trace. One arm expanded around your waist while the other trailed along your back to feel how warm you were. If your face wasn't red by now, it certainly was then. The feeling of his strong arms wrapped around you was relaxing in its own way. It was no longer scary or surreal. Instead, it was reassuring. By the time the kiss had ended, the both of you remained in one another's embrace for a short while.

Even though you were breathing heavily, Herobrine seemed to regain oxygen a little quicker. "Sorry..." He said softly with a chuckle, "I might've gotten a little carried away. You have that effect on me nowadays." You felt your voice get stuck in the center of your throat, as if it was running in circles out of panic once it realized there were no words left to say. Your face felt hot and your insides felt just as mushy as a magma cube. The music from the jukebox had stopped a long time ago, leaving you both in silence.

"I'm..." You began, "I'm tired. W-Why don't we call it a night?" You hated yourself for coming off as timid, for becoming softer than jelly in front of him. He nodded with you in agreement, "Sounds good. Dinner should be ready by now." His hands left you, finally allowing you to feel alone with your thoughts. "Thank you." He said, his statement made you tilt your head in confusion. "I appreciate it, sweetheart. Now, maybe someday in the future I can return the favor on our special day." He had a dopey smirk on his face as he led you back up the small staircase. It took you a few moments to realize he was talking about marriage, about your wedding. Marriage was a foreign concept to you. It was another aspect of life that seemed to only exist in fairytales. You knew Herobrine probably thought of it as a small detail, or perhaps a comment that wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but to you it was whole other world. "Are you alright?" He asked, noticing your silence. His smile faded for a moment. "I'm fine..." You replied, wishing you weren't attracted to his softer tone of voice. Why did it have to be so poisonous yet sweet at the same time? Now you were afraid, but for a different reason. Falling in love. Was it worth the risk of heartbreak? Was it worth the risk of betrayal and agony?

Before you knew it, you were sitting in front of him, a marble table with a red and gold cloth separating the two of you. To your glee, it wasn't the same old dining room you were accustomed to. Instead, it was on a wide balcony that overlooked the mountains and the dark forest. Since he no longer allowed you to walk on such places ever since you attempted suicide, it felt refreshing to breath in the fresh, cool air of the wilderness even if it was from a distance. You missed being outside more than anything. Being cooped up in the mansion was tedious and mentally exhausting. Half of your life had been spent wandering through fields and forests. You enjoyed the immunity from mobs attacking you, but every once and a while, you missed the thrill that came with the adventures of nature. Fireflies danced in the night, blending in with the clear sky of stars above you. Crickets filled the silence when it was there, echoing in and out of your ears like a sweet melody. In the center of the table was a small candle that Herobrine lit with the tip of his index finger. There was a plate of freshly seasoned salmon, carrots, and a small bowl of tomato soup sitting before you. It was nothing too fancy, which you enjoyed. It was hearty and real, reminding you of when you used to go fishing in the river by your house. After a fishing trip you'd usually cook up something similar to this. Again, it made you wonder how long he had been watching you. You figured the river was full by now since you used to walk into the shallow rocks with your bare feet. Those memories were simple, yet they held happiness. Herobrine happily poured you a glass of red wine, and even though you normally didn't drink, the sharp taste filled you with warmth. He still had that look in his eyes. He looked at you as if you were the last biscuit on the plate. Herobrine indulged as well, enjoying your company even though he still had to speak first in order to get some words out of you.