Chapter Fourteen, Steve

You woke up in a cold sweat, your heartbeat racing and your body quivering. Your eyes ripped open as you jolted upright to sit up. The room was still dark, so you knew that it was probably early in the morning. You breathed deeply, trying to calm yourself down even though it felt impossible. You moved your hair out of your face and hugged your knees, trying to tell yourself it was a dream and nothing more. The feeling of the nightmare still clung to your head. It felt so real. You could vividly recall the feeling of his hands on your waist, of floating in complete darkness beside the only light source that radiated from his eyes. It was a threat. Nothing more. All it meant was that you'd have to wait a little longer before retreating to the north ocean. But how long were you willing to wait? Cabin fever already consumed you long ago, and then there was the predicament of food. Your hands clutched the diamond necklace on your neck, trying to feel the connection of home to calm your rushing nerves. You were just about to stand up and get some water when Steve came rushing into the room. You looked up swiftly, afraid since you half-expected to be met with a pair of white eyes rather than his blue ones. He looked as if he had seen a ghost when he saw you. In his hand was a small, lit lamp that revealed his worried expression.

"Are you alright? I heard you muttering to yourself, then I thought you were crying and well...." He approached you. "I'm fine... I'm fine, don't worry. It was just a nightmare." You told him, easing his concern. You were a little embarrassed to have woken him up this early, and you expected him to just shrug and go back to bed. However, Steve didn't leave immediately. Instead he set the lamp on a nearby table, "It was about him wasn't it?"

"Yes... it was." You answered bluntly, wiping your eyes. The warm glow from the lamp floated over the room, causing you to feel a little more comfortable. Steve still looked half asleep. His hair was messy and his facial hair had grown out slightly, bags barely visible under his eyes. His pajamas were plain. He wore a similar aqua shirt with a pair of brown, baggy shorts. It was so strange to see him like that. He looked too much like Herobrine, yet he was so different at the same time. "He's done it before." You said, referring to his question. "Up until we first met he'd get inside my mind and mess with me... sometimes I think he can actually read thoughts. Whenever we spoke in person, I could almost feel his presence even when he was standing behind me. Back when you held me hostage, when he arrived, I heard his voice in my head telling me to look away and close my eyes. I thought I imagined it at first, but then he confirmed that my ears weren't deceiving me." You explained. Steve gazed at you curiously. "I know it sounds crazy, but I think somehow he was able to tell me that just so I wouldn't be able to see him hurt you. Do you... that is... do you know if he's telepathic?" In your mind you were reimagining that moment. You remembered how smoothly Herobrine's velvety voice had drilled into your consciousness long enough for you to process.

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" He asked, not angrily, just genuinely.

"I didn't think it mattered too much. Besides, this is different. He told me he's still searching, and that he's getting closer to finding us. He said he was going to take me away, hurt me, and then kill you the first chance he gets." You sighed deeply when saying the bad news out loud. "It's just a threat, Y/N. That's all it is. I bet he's just trying to get underneath our skin and intimidate you into going back to the mansion. I've known about Herobrine for many years. I know he's full of shit. There's no way he could find this place. Nobody saw us. Nobody except you and me knows we're here. I even burned the wooden cart to cover the evidence of our escape. People of the Bazaar are clueless. So are the skeletons. Hell, even if Prysm wanted to confess to helping us, he wouldn't be able to tell him where we could be. The only other place Herobrine could look is..." Steve paused mid-sentence. You watched his eyes widen. His face began turning pale white as a cold realization smacked him right against his chest. For a moment it seemed as if he didn't breathe. "Steve?" You questioned, now becoming anxious from his horrified silence. One of his hands raised to his forehead. When he answered you, he took your hand into his before saying with a low, deathly tone,