Chapter Nineteen, Beloved

It had been at least five days. From the mansion, through one of the windows on the upper floor, his white eyes gazed at you through the glass. He could see you in the courtyard, sitting indian style beside one of the two headstones. He watched you mourn. He saw as you placed a small bouquet of flowers on top of Steve's grave along with Prysm's. The more Herobrine watched you, the more he missed your smile. He found it harder and harder to speak with you when you looked at him as if he were a burden. Sometimes you were afraid of his touch and would grimace upon him touching you. Other times you would be visibly anxious or flustered when he was nearby. Not only did it make him feel guilty since he was responsible for your sadness, but it also made him more obligated to lift your spirits. He yearned to hear you laugh, to hear the happiness in your voice again. Herobrine only went to the nether when he absolutely had to after the incident. Even when he did go to the airless fiery pit that was crowded with wither skeletons, ghasts, and blazes, he always thought about you. It hurt him a little each time you looked at him with such fear. He wished you would look at him with love, the same kind of love he looked at you with. He thought back to when you had ran away with Steve. Why did Steve get to hear you laugh? Why did Steve get all the fun? He remembered observing your emotions through the necklace you wore, seeing you dance pointlessly with the man he had killed. If dancing made you happy before, then wouldn't it make you happy again? An idea popped into his mind.

"Erebus, I have a task for you." Herobrine walked away from the window and began to stroll down the hall. Behind him, in a flurry of bright purple specs, Erebus appeared almost instantly. "Yes, master, what can I do for you?" He said obediently. "I need you to clean out that old room, the one we never use. It has to be dusted and polished." His command caused Erebus' eyes to light up. "You mean the ballroom, master?" The question caused Herobrine to stop walking. A wave of silence fell over them for a few moments. After all, the ballroom had been a part of the mansion for centuries yet it was never even spoken of until now. Even some of the staff had no idea such a room existed. "Does this have to do with Y/N by any chance?" The question was easy even if it was obvious. "It's all about Y/N. I want to do something for her, and I need it to be perfect." Herobrine answered bluntly. Erebus bowed, "Of course, master, of course... but may I suggest a few minor things?"

"Oh, what's this? You're a romance expert now?" Herobrine chuckled teasingly, shaking his head. Erebus smiled lightly, "I may not be human, but I do know that hard work is key to a woman's heart."

"And just how do you know that?" Herobrine pressed, a little annoyed but willing to listen.

"Master, you're not the only person who has slaughtered for the one they love. Don't you remember I spawned in another dimension filled with my own kind? It might not have been long, but it certainly taught me a thing or two about romance. Romance means you must fight for it, work for it until nobody else can dare compete. Now, what exactly are you planning to wear? Because I can tell you right this moment, nothing catches a ladies' eye more than a change in wardrobe."

"Hey, watch your tongue! I still haven't forgiven you."

"If that were true, you and I both know I'd would be drowning in the river by now." Erebus said smugly. Herobrine sighed a little too dramatically, but he said nothing more. Now he remembered why he hated endermen. They always loved to talk back. "Now, master, would you, or would you not take my advice?" Erebus asked. Once again, the answer was obvious.

You found yourself making your way back to the bedroom since it was getting late and the sun was just about hidden behind the mountains. You were a little tired, but it was mostly your head and your heart that was tired. Even though you hadn't done much during the day, somehow you still felt as if you had jogged all the way to the sea and back. You knew Herobrine had been home all day. It confused you, really. Normally he or Erebus would be pestering you about your needs, yet today they seemed as if they disappeared. You noticed that Herobrine had been trying to cheer you up lately. Sometimes he would gift you with flowers or kisses. Not intimate kisses, of course. Just small pecks every now and again to remind you of his affection. It was becoming harder and harder to hold back your flustered emotions. It seemed as if all your previous encounters had been made possible because of tragedy and discomfort. Now that everything seemed to be at peace for the moment, you felt that the encounters you had with Herobrine were now almost more awkward than before. You knew your heart was split in half at the thought of actually loving him, but you couldn't deny he was beckoning you closer and closer to an internal decision with every opportunity he took to appease you.