Chapter Twenty Three, Erebus

Herobrine paced through the halls. His eyes were focused and intense as they scanned up and down the corridor as if one of the tapestries or paintings held the answer to his emptiness. He stood in front of the thick, iron door that shielded the terror contained in the basement. As soon as he brought you home from the Far Lands, you went to bed without saying another word to him. He felt dejected and humiliated when you did so. Yes, he was certain you had the right to be angry with him for pushing the boundaries too far but why... why did you have to push him away like that? Why didn't you show a little empathy towards him after everything he had done for you? He was perplexed with the idea that you were rejecting his apology. He knew you were aware of his regret... so why didn't you at least speak to him and tell him how you felt? He wanted you to tell him everything, for your lips to be suffocated by his undying desire for love and adoration. It was so frustrating. He wanted your love. He wanted it so bad, he thought he'd burst if you didn't confess it sooner or later. He knew you wanted love too. He knew you liked it when he touched you and made you smile. Yes, that was it. It wasn't his fault. It was your fault for pushing him away, for rejecting him again like you always did. The instant you left his sight, he felt like an empty shell yet again. He was angry. He was angry at you for pushing him away.

Thoughts radiating from his anger emerged for the second time that night. He did everything for you. He danced with you, broke bread with you, dried your tears and yet... yet it wasn't enough for you to love him. He thought about cornering you, about tying you down so that nothing stood in his way. It would've been so easy to pin your wrists above your head and whisper into your ears so that you'd listen to his voice. Just imagining your flustered face made him feel warmer. It would've been a good punishment, to see you squirm and beg for forgiveness. It would remind you who was in charge, and it would certainly remind you who he was. But... But no... no it wasn't right. He didn't want to hurt you anymore. Not again. He couldn't. It made him feel weak. He didn't feel like himself.

"Master, are you alright?" A POOF entered the air as Erebus appeared instantly. He had a feather duster in one hand and a glass bottle full of soapy water in the other. Most likely, he was doing some late cleaning. Herobrine breathed deeply, trying to contain the anger as much as he could. He was mad, he was mad at you for being so distant. He was mad at you for being so ungrateful. Why couldn't you love him? Why couldn't you admit it? He replayed the memory of punishing you a second time. Despite it hurting the both of you, he missed the way your voice forced out those words that read I love you. Hurting you would've been easy, but was it worth breaking his promise? No, he wouldn't hurt you, but he needed something to take his anger out on. He needed a window to be himself again. "Erebus, I want you to search the bazaar. Bring back anyone who knew Steve. Anyone who spoke to him, traded with him, or even looked at him is to be brought back here immediately." He ordered sternly. Erebus replied with a "hmm," before questioning, "That would make at least a dozen people or more, are you certain, master?" He held an obedient, sadistic smile, happy to serve him whatever the cost. "A dozen..." Herobrine trailed off, the anger in his mind fading away. Slowly, a deep chuckle erupted from his mouth as his lips curled into a malevolent smirk. "Make that two dozen." He stated. "And what of Y/N?" Erebus tapped a long black finger beneath his chin. "She doesn't need to know. If she finds out, she'll try to leave me again and I can't have that. Captain needs to be unaware too. I don't trust him with such a thing. Now go. You have an hour to round them all up in the chamber." Herobrine snapped his fingers loudly. The three locks on the door cracked open, allowing the iron door to fling open.

"As you wish, master." Erebus bowed slightly, grinning widely. While he wasn't interested in Herobrine's actions, he was thrilled to assist him carry out such violent activities. After all, that's what loyalty was. Supporting those with power to eventually maintain the same respect.