Chapter One

Quick note. I aged up Tanjiro and the rest of the squad a little,so he is 15 here,the reader is 16.
Demon slayer is owned by Koyoharu Gotouge.

"Ummm okaa-san,otou-san can you... repeat that?" (Y/n) asked,putting her chopsticks down and looking up at the adults.
"You heard me (Y/n)-chan. In two months you will get married. I'm sure you remember Takamaru Hiroshida, the governor's son. He is a very sweet young man, he has a stable job and seems to be very interested in you. After all, you two did have play dates when you were younger, I am not surprised he caught feelings for you." (Y/n)'s mother giggled when she was done explaining and her father nodded in approval.
"That's why I agreed to the marriage offer, I know he will treat you well-"
"How do you know?"(Y/n) spoke up, surprising not only her parents but herself too.
"What?"
"How would you know that Takamaru-san will treat me well? The last time we saw each other was when I was 10 and he was 13. A lot has changed, I also never agreed to it. I don't see Takamaru-san as anything more than a close acquaintance."
(Y/n) explained, surprised where she found all the words to say. Her father frowned at her and got up, slowly walking towards her.
"(Y/n), this is not a decision up to you, I rather you end up with a man of a similar status as us than a boy of lower class, after all they all want your money and will treat you like an object."
"You mean the same way you are treating me now." (Y/n) stated, but she soon regretted it after she noticed her father's glare.
"You little" The older man was about to slap her but the mother stopped him.
"Toshio! Enough! (Y/n)-chan is probably only overwhelmed, let her be for now. Come let's finish the dinner." The black haired woman took his hand in hers, which seemed to calm hom down.
Sighing, the (h/c) haired girl slowly got up and walked towards the door.
"I am not hungry anymore, I will go and read something and then go to sleep. Good night okaa-san, otou-san."
(Y/n) bowed and walked out the room.
"Takahashi-san, please prepare her a bath. It might calm her down." The woman told one of the maids, who nodded.
"Of course (L/n)-san!"

With (Y/n)...
The girl was sitting on her futon, looking at the picture of her already deceased grandparents. Smiling sadly, she looked out the window at the full moon.
"What should I do? I really don't want to get married,bit it's not like I have much of a choice in this house..."
"Young lady, can I come in?" (Y/n) smiled when she heard Takahashi's voice, the old woman was basically like a mother to her.
"Of course Takahashi-sama." The grey haired woman walked inside and closed the door behind her.
Letting a few tears slide down her face, the young girl ran into the woman's arms.
"Takahashi-sama what should I do? I really don't want to marry Takamaru-san... I want to go out and see the world! Marrying will only mean to kiss my dream goodbye!"
The older woman sighed and rubbed the girl's back.
"There there... I may have a solution for your problem." At those word's (Y/n) looked up with a curious expression.
"A solution?! Please tell me what it is!"
"In the mountains... There is a old friend of mine, his name is Urokodaki, he is a demon slayer, he might be able to help you."
"Demon slayer?"(Y/n) asked in curiosity,to which the older woman nodded.
"Yes a demon slayer, they are a non governmental body whoes job is to protect humans from demons. They have been existing for centuries you know."
"But...demons are a myth Takahashi-sama-"
"No they are not my child."The woman interrupted her.
"Demons are very real, and a real danger. They eat the meat of humans to get stronger. Humans are too fragile and weak to go against them, but there are chosen people who through training and hard work unlock special techniques which helps them to go head to head against demons. Among the corps there is a special unit, called hashiras, they are the strongest among them. They all work together to defeat the demon lord and bring peace to us. Urokodaki was one of them, now he is just training younger generations."
(Y/n) listened in awe as the older maid spoke with such fondness about them, but one question cane into her head.
"Umm Takahashi-sama, how do you know so much about them?"
The older woman got up with a smile and pulled a dark green sword out of her hakama.
"How?!"
"That's a secret my child. And I know about them because I used to be one, I was the nature hashira before I retired around 12 years ago. Now I carry this thing in case demons decide to invade the mansion's property."
The older woman smiled at (Y/n)'s bewildered expression and pulled her up.
"I want you to go and train with him. I see potential in you to become a demon slayer, who knows maybe you will become a hashira one day."
The young girl shook her head at those words, confusing the grey haired lady.
"No no Takahashi-sama, you know me already for 10 years, I am too weak for that and the thought of facing a demon scares me too much-"
"(Y/n)-chan I was just like you when I was at the beginning, but with hard training anything is possible. I want you to go and train with Urokodaki and discover your breathing technique, while I have a suspicion what it may be already."
"Breathing what? And what is it-"
"Enough questions, its already dark, while I do not want you to go out into the forest at this time, you have no other choice. If you want freedom you have to go now."
(Y/n) stood there frozen in place. On one hand she wanted to be free from her parents and their dictatorship, but on the other she did have a reasonable fear of dying in the middle of a forest.
"I...alright... Which way should I go?" Takahashi smiled at her answer amd patted her head.
"Southeast. Just follow a pathway and you will be safe. Here, I want to give you something before you go." The maid walked to (Y/n)'s closet and took a small bag which was hidden under some bed sheets.
"I planned giving this to you on your birthday in a month, but I won't have the chance now." The woman handed the (h/c) haired girl the bag, opening it, her eyes widened at the sight of a green haori.
"Takahashi-sama... This is beautiful!" (Y/n) smiled and put the piece of clothing on her.