Chapter Fourty-Eight

In conclusion, I am my own biggest hater. Really helps with the self esteem.

"Ara~Ara~ wake up (Y/n)-chan!"
Opening here eyes, the said girl was greeted by Shinobu's familiar dark purple eyes and empty smile. Sitting up, (Y/n) yawned as she waved at the insect Hashira.
"Good morning, Shinobu-san. Is it another morning check-up?" The younger wondered, but all she got was Shinobu shaking her head at the question.
"No. I wanted to invite you into my lab. There are some plants there that you might find interesting to hear about."
(Y/n) stared at the smiling Hashira for a good minute, unsure what she should say. While she was a nature breather, she couldn't say that she was that eager to learn about plants, unless it was absolutely necessary for one of her forms.
"I... I am grateful for the offering but I-"
"Great! After breakfast you are coming with me! Deal?" Shinobu said as she coldly smiled at (Y/n), daring her to day no.
"S-sure! Yeah after breakfast." The girl gulped as the purple eyed Hashira nodded her head, satisfied with the answer. As the older left her room, (Y/n) plopped down on her bed and sighed.
"I don't even like listening about plants."

Fighting a yawn, (Y/n) continued to look at Shinobu from her seat next to the window. Shinobu clearly had a passion for plants and medicine, and while that was admirable in (Y/n)'s eyes and being a doctor was a noble thing, she couldn't take the plant talk anymore.
'My gods I think listening to Inosuke's snoring is more interesting.'
The (h/c) girl thought as she returned her attention back to Shinobu.
"And this is a Gorse plant, I used it a lot in the tea we give you guys during recovery. Lifts up the spirits!" The purple eyed Hashira said simply as (Y/n) nodded her head as she looked at the yellow flower.
"Aren't these plants interesting? My favorite one still stays the wisteria flower." Shinobus said cheerfully as (Y/n) tried to remember that flower again.

"Hmm... that's the purple one? Why that?" The girl wondered, thinking it might be the smell, looks or overall meaning of the flower that attracted the older, at least that was how she picked her favorite one. It was silent for a moment as Shinobu thought over how to answer the question, but seeing as (Y/n) was a demon hunter as well she thought she would have more of a understanding.
'Nezuko is probably the only demon she can stand anyways... but we will work on that little flaw.'

"It kills demons and depending on the dosage, it makes them suffer immensely."
(Y/n) felt goosebumps run up and down her spine as the sinister smile forming on the Hashira's face, what made it all scarier was that Shinobu's eyes for the first time showed emotions. Hatred, pure hatred and malice. The atmosphere made (Y/n) nervous a little and she looked around to change the subject.
"A-ah... interesting? Well, what about the flower over there, what do you use that for-"
"Do you want to know why I hate demons so much?" Shinobu asked calmly, seeing through the action.
"No..."

"They took my sister from me. She was a great Hashira and had immense potential to go far beyond, but..."
(Y/n) watched as Shinobu's smile dropped and was replaced by a glare.
"They took her from me, they took my family from me. So ever since that day I make sure to make those creatures suffer."
The (h/c) girl kept quiet, unsure what she was supposed to say or do. While she had nobody taken from her like that, she couldn't really see Shinobu's logic either.
"What do you think?"
"What do you mean?"
"About my reasoning, you as a fellow demon hunter would understand me."

(Y/n) kept quiet, thinking how to answer to not make the Hashira mad.
"I... well I don't really agree with it. I just make the deaths painless to get everything over with it."
The Hahsira's eyes widened a little, and by the blank look (Y/n) could tell she messed up.
"You do whatever you want Shinobu-san, but I can't bring myself to torture someone or waste my free time or energy on it." (Y/n) said honestly, waiting for the older's reaction.
"But why? What if one of your friends dies tomorrow at the hands of demons? Or you yourself? Wouldn't you want someone to avenge you like that?" Shinobu asked, walking closer to the girl.