a l b y

I wake up in the morning to a beautiful sight. Newt, staring at me and grinning.

"Good morning, love." He greets.

"Did you just call me love?" I chuckle. "I like it."

Newt blushes and laughs, too. "I guess I did."

I yawn and stand up, then I step over Newt, being careful not to step on him. I unzip the tent and walk outside. Frypan and Teresa are already awake, sitting on a log, talking to each other.

I step on a twig by accident, snapping it, and Teresa flicks her head around to look at me.

"Hey, Tom." She greets. "Good morning."

"Morning, Teresa." I smile. "Morning, Frypan."

Frypan nods at me.

"So, Frypan," I chuckle, "you up for making breakfast?"

-

Teresa and I help Frypan prepare breakfast. Toast, eggs, and bacon.

Newt comes out of our tent, and sniffs the air. "Wow, something smells good."

"It's my fabulous cooking," says Frypan. "Duh."

"Hey! I helped!" I laugh.

Suddenly, taking me by surprise, Newt comes up from behind me and wraps his arms around my waist. He pulls my body closer to his and rests his head in the crook of my neck.

"Aw, lovebirds." Teresa teases, "you sicken me."

Newt laughs, his body shaking against mine.

"You're the one who basically begged us to get together," I chuckle, sarcastically rolling my eyes at her.

"Only because you kept moping around like a lovesick puppy," Teresa answered smoothly. "Now, I'm hungry. That's enough talking."

-

Mostly everyone had came out of their tents and sat around the fire pit, waiting for food. Brenda left last night, after the game had ended. We were all relieved when we noticed she was gone in the morning.

Frypan, Teresa and I served all of our friends breakfast, and then ourselves. We were all sitting down eating, when I noticed Chuck wasn't around. I just assumed that him and Alby were still sleeping. But before I could check, Chuck came stumbling out of his tent.

"Hey, nobody woke me up." Chuck yawned. "Ooh, breakfast." He plucked a piece of bacon off of my plate and devoured it. "Where's Alby?" He asked with his mouth full.

"Isn't he still in your tent?" I ask, suddenly worried. Alby was acting strange last night . .

"No," Chuck said, gulping. "I assumed he was out here."

I stood up and looked at Newt who was having a conversation with Teresa. I didn't need him knowing anything about Alby acting strangely, it would just worry him. He was acting really happy recently, and I wouldn't want to ruin that. I took Chuck with me, and we looked inside of all of the tents. They were all empty, and Alby was nowhere to be seen.

"Okay, here's the plan," I explain to Chuck quietly, "I don't want Newt to worry about Alby, so tell Newt you want to talk to him, and take him away somewhere private so I can tell the other Gladers about Alby."

Chuck nods. "But what do I talk to Newt about?"

"I don't know . . Just distract him - make something up. Buy some time."

Together, Chuck and I walk back to the campsite.

I watch silently as Chuck approaches Newt and gets his attention. "Can you come with me?" Chuck asks him. "I've got something to show you."