f o u n d

| Thomas's POV |

Somebody on the other side of the door was fiddling with the door handle, trying to open it. I could hear muffled chatter and somebody screaming.
Newt jolted upright as soon as he heard the scream, and we sat there together, unable to do anything to defend ourselves.
"You think that's who's coming to take us away?" Newt asked, trying his best to peer at the door through the darkness.
"Probably," I admitted, trying my hardest to slide out of these handcuffs. It was no use.
"So, is this it, then?" Newt asked quietly, his voice wavering.
"What do you mean?"
"They're just going to take us away, separate us, and God bloody knows what else they'll do.."
I wanted to tell him no, that we'll always be together, that it would be OK. But I also didn't want to lie to him.
"I don't know, Newt."
Newt sighed, sniffling. "I bloody hate Brenda.. I hated her since we met her, you know that? But I never said anything because she made you so happy.."
"Things were different then." I told him. "You know that."
"I liked you since the Glade, Tommy," Newt continued, "and it hurt to see you go for Teresa. Then Brenda. But never me."
I remained quiet. I didn't know quite what to say. I did like Newt since the Glade, but I never would've imagined he would feel the same way. So, I tried to fill the void with Brenda and Teresa. I didn't want Newt to feel like he wasn't as important as them, because he is.
He's more important to me than anybody else in the world.
"I could have been with Brenda if I wanted to, Newt. I could've been with Teresa, too. But I didn't want either one of them. You know why? It's because I love you. Not anybody else but you, Newt. I choose you over all of them."
"I know. I know you love me." I couldn't see Newt's face, but I could sense his smile in the dark. "I love you, too. I'll miss you when they take me away, Tommy. I don't know what I'll do."
I took his hand and held it between mine, resting it on my forehead. The door was still rattling, and I knew it wouldn't be much longer until they got in.
"Don't you think it's a bit strange they don't have a key?" I asked Newt.
"Now that you mention it, I do." He replied. "Hm . ."
Just then, the door broke open and a light flicked on.
"Jesus, it's dark in here," a familiar voice announced. I peaked over the edge of the table and nearly collapsed with joy when I saw Minho standing there, our whole group of friends behind him.
"Minho!" I called. "Over here!"
Minho ran over beside Newt and I and kneeled down, opening his hand to reveal a silver key. "Had to fight Brenda for this," he grinned. "You're welcome."
"Minho, honestly, you're a bloody lifesaver." Newt exclaimed while Minho freed both of us from our handcuffs.
"Yeah, yeah," Minho smirked, dismissing Newt's comment with a wave of his hand. "We don't have time to get all shucking sentimental. Let's go!"
I pulled myself to my feet, and even though my whole body was stiff to the point of numbness, I had to force myself to run. We ran through the halls, trying to locate the exit.
"Is Paul here, too?" Asked Teresa, running beside me.
"He didn't make it . ." I explained, a bit taken aback by her question. I caught a look of sympathy on Teresa's face.
"Hang on, you didn't know Janson shot Paul?" I questioned.
"Not until now.."
I stopped in my tracks. "We have to find the real map to Alby!" I shouted. "Paul didn't make it, but Janson tricked us by replacing the real map in his pocket with a fake map. That's the whole reason we ended up here."
"What are you saying?" Minho cocked an eyebrow. "You don't think we're still looking for Alby after all of this, do you?"
"Yes, we are," I argued. "We have to go back and get that map from Janson. Then, we can continue on and finally find Alby."
Minho approached me slowly, his face flushed; fury rising in his voice.
"Listen up, shuckface, I don't know what buggin' ideas you're thinking of, but I can tell you one thing: we are not still searching around for somebody who probably will never be found. It's just not happening."
"None of you have to come with me if you don't want to." I shot back, annoyed. "I can look for Alby on my own. But what other choice do we have? If we aren't looking for him, what are we doing? Where do we have to go?"
"Just go back to the Heaven . . the Paradise . .the Afterlife. Whatever it's called," Chuck commented shyly. "I miss my parents, Thomas."
His words tugged on my heart strings, but I still wasn't giving up. "Chuck, that place you call a 'Paradise' isn't safe at all. It's the exact opposite. We'll all just end up getting hurt."
"But we'll end up getting hurt even worse by going back to Janson!" Minho argued.
I turned my head to Teresa. "What do you think we should do?"
She pressed his lips together into a firm line. "I think.. I think we have to find Alby. He's our friend, and we promised that we'd find him."
Minho sighed in disbelief. "Fine, then!" He roared. "Let's go. Let's all just go on this suicide mission!"
Minho still was obviously unhappy with our decision, but everybody else - except Chuck - agreed that it would be best to continue looking for Alby.
So, we retraced our steps through this long hallway to find Janson.
I admit, it might be suicidal, but I wasn't giving up on Alby.