t r u t h

It was getting late, and Newt would be here any minute. My stomach was doing flips, and my legs felt like jelly. I can't do this. I could just make up something else to tell him . . .
I can't do that, either. Newt would know I was lying; he already knows that something is wrong.
I found myself fixing my hair in the mirror when I heard a knock on the door. I tried to calm myself down, but it didn't help. I opened the door to reveal a smiling Newt.
"Hey, Tommy." He greeted.
"Hi," I said, signaling him to come inside.

-
We sat down at the small kitchen table.
"What did you need to talk to me about?" Newt asks, running his hand through his hair.
Oh, shuck . . His beautiful hair . .
Shut up, Thomas, I told myself.
"Um," I started, breathing heavily.
"Calm down . . Calm down . . I'm worried about you." Newt said, resting his hand on my shoulder.
"I just . . I want you to know that . . I feel different around you." I started, gaining control of myself, "I've never really felt like this before, so I'm really confused but I . . I think I like you, Newt. I'm sorry."
Quiet.
"Why are you sorry?" Was all Newt said.
"I'm sorry because I don't want to ruin our friendship," I say, shaking. "I'm sorry for making things weird, and I'm sorry because I know you don't feel the same as I do."
"How would you know if I felt the same or not?" Newt asks, and I swear I can see a slight smirk on his face.
"I don't know . . I just assumed. Do you?"
"Maybe," Newt bit his lip. "Maybe I was just waiting for the right time to tell you."