a w a k e

"Are you okay?"

When I opened my eyes and my vision cleared, I was surprised to see Newt standing over me.

"Huh?" I groaned, wiping my eyes with the heel of my hand. "Yeah . . I think so." 

"You threw yourself real hard through that bloody portal," Newt explained. "Your head hit the ground and I guess you passed out."

"Am I still sleeping?" I asked, surveying my surroundings. I was on top of a makeshift bed on the floor of a dimly lit room. 

Newt laughed. "Why would you ask that?"

"Because you're talking to me," I answered. "I thought you hated me."

"Well, don't get any ideas." I could see the smirk tugging at Newt's lips. "I was just checking up on you." 

Newt walked away before I could say anything more, leaving me all by myself.

A few minutes after Newt had left, Teresa came into the room, a wide smile on her face.

"You're awake!"

"How long was I out?" I asked her.

"Almost a full day," she answered. "After we all went through the portal, we ended up in this building."

I nodded for her to continue speaking. 

"You were out cold, so we put you in this room until you woke up."

I stood up suddenly. "Well, now I'm ready to get out of here."

Teresa ran in front of the door, blocking the exit. "Wait . . What did Newt say to you when he came in here?"

"Nothing, really." I told her, shrugging. "He just said he was checking up on me. Why?"

"So, did you two make up?"

I laughed awkwardly. "I wish. But I don't think so."

A look of disappointment flashed across her face, which was soon masked with a sad smile. "Oh. Okay."

Teresa stepped out of my path, allowing me to exit the room we were in. 

The place we were now inside of was a long hallway. There was doors everywhere that all led to different rooms. Teresa opened a door, revealing a room full of Gladers, Brenda and Paul. Mostly everybody stood up when they seen me and embraced me in a hug. 

"You slinthead," Minho laughed, "only you would be able to get knocked out by jumping through a portal."

I rolled my eyes but I couldn't hide my grin. "That's called skill, my friend."

I took in my surroundings - It looked the same as the room I woke up in. Plain, dimly lit with cold, blue metal walls and floors. Knitted blankets and lumpy pillows were scattered across the floor as a bunch of makeshift beds. 

"Thomas, I'm glad you're awake." Paul said, pushing past the other Gladers to get near me. "I need to talk to you in private."

Paul pulled me out of the room and into another one that looked exactly the same, except this one was empty other than the two of us.

"Your friends and I have looked through all of these rooms," explained Paul. "They're all the same. No sign of Alby or any members of WICKED. I think that there may be another portal."

"So we just have to find one." I nodded. "We can do that."

"We can, yes," Paul agreed, "but it would take forever. There's hundreds of rooms here."

"Oh." A frown spread across my face. We can't just be trapped here.

"Although, it seems like your friend Newt knows quite a bit about this." Says Paul. "He knew the code. I tried to get it from him since it could help us track the portal, but Newt told me that he didn't trust me."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that you need to get that code from him, and you need to get him to help us find the portal."

"Newt and I . . We aren't . . I don't know." I sighed. "I'm not supposed to talk to him. We're not together anymore, you know that."

"I don't care, Thomas!" Paul shouted. His sudden loudness took me by surprise, making me jump back. "Put your personal problems aside. I really hate to admit it, but Newt gives us a better chance of finding your friend."

I didn't want to say it, but he was right. It would be selfish of me to give up our only chance of finding Alby just because of the problems Newt and I were going through.

"Okay," I said. "I'll talk to him."