r e a l i z e

As we trudged onwards, everyone could quite obviously tell that Newt was getting worse. Nobody mentioned it. I speculated it was probably because they didn't want to upset me, but it wasn't hard to tell Newt wasn't exactly himself anymore. I wasn't in denial, even though I hated to think about Newt as a Crank again.
There were several times Newt had just tried to lay down, telling us to leave him there, let him die. Of course we wouldn't, so Newt grunted as we forced him to stand up and continue on. His coughing fits had worsened and I did feel bad forcing him to carry on with that painful bite eating away at his leg. But we had no other choice. What else were we supposed to do? Let our friend die?
"Newt, you'll be fine," I told him for the hundredth time. Those words have been so vaguely used lately that they didn't mean anything anymore except trying to convince myself to hold on to that small glimpse of hope that it would be true.
"Shut up, Tommy." Newt roared. I could tell he was upset that I keep building up his hope, only for it to be let down again.
"Okay," I croaked. "Sorry."
"No, no, don't be." Newt told me, his normal voice coming back. "I'm sorry. It's like.. I can't control what I'm saying. Hell, I can barley control myself at all."
Hearing Newt say that made any remaining hope I had flourish. I knew what would happen when he started to turn. I knew he would loose himself. But I didn't want to admit it. I opened my mouth to speak, but I stopped when my eyes suddenly filled with tears and I had to choke them back.
That's the moment I realized that I was going to have to witness Newt's death for the second time.