g u i l t

I've decided that I'm leaving tonight to start my search to find Alby.

Some of the Gladers decided to stay where they were - they didn't want anything to do with WICKED ever again. But a few of the Gladers, even from group B, agreed to come with me. I told Minho what happened with Newt earlier, and Minho told me that he had managed to talk Newt into coming with us.

But only on one condition - I'm not allowed to be near him.

That hurt. But I knew I deserved the pain. I hurt Newt, and this is his revenge. Taking himself away from me; taking his love away from me. That was all I had. Now it's completely gone.

I needed to find Alby, not just because Alby was my friend, but because he was Newt's friend, too. Newt's best friend. Newt's oldest friend. I did nothing but watch as he was being taken away, and I need to give him back. I don't care if Newt forgives me after I find Alby, but I hope I get to see the smile on his face.

I knew that we couldn't possibly find Alby on our own. We needed somebody to help us who knows this place better than any of us do, and I know exactly who that is. The last person I thought I would be asking for help.

Paul.

I knocked on Paul's door, and he opened it, looking surprised to see me. "Have you left that boy, yet?" He snaps.

I wasn't expecting that to be the first thing he said to me. A little shocked, and hurt, I sigh.

"I don't know. I think so."

"Good," Paul smiles warmly, as if what he was saying was kind. "I knew you two wouldn't last long."

"Listen, I don't need a lecture." I say. "I'm only here because I need your help."

"What with?" Paul asks.

"Can I come in?" I ask. "I'll explain more."

Paul nods, and I step inside of his house. The moment I enter, I remember what had happened the last time I was here. I miss Newt. Really, I do. But I don't think he will ever forgive me.

I know I need to focus on more important things right now, so I try to block out my thoughts of him.

"Our friend, Alby, went missing." I explain to Paul. "Everyone went searching, but nobody found him. You know this place better than anyone, so . ."

"So you need my help." Paul finishes my sentence with a confident smirk.

I nod.

"Okay, sure." Paul agrees. "But you'll have to help me carry the weapons out to your little friends, okay?"

"Weapons?" I raise my eyebrows, confused. "Why would we need weapons?"

"Just trust me," Paul says. "Just incase."

-

I drop the weapons on the ground in front of the Gladers.

"What are these for?" Gally asks.

"Paul says to bring them." I tell everyone. "Just as a precaution. Each of you, grab one weapon."

"Wait - hold up," Gally snarls, glaring at Paul. "What is HE doing here? I thought you hated each other."

"I had to ask him for help." I answer quickly. "He knows his way around this place. Now, that's enough talking. Grab your weapons."

Everybody gets into a line and chooses a weapon from the pile on the ground. For a few seconds, I make eye contact with Newt, who is standing at the back of the line, and for a moment, I get lost in his beauty, and everything feels okay again. But he looks away, and I remember what really happened. Guilt tugs at my heart, but I know I need to focus on one thing right now: finding Alby.

Then I notice somebody else standing in the back of the line behind Newt.

Brenda.

"Brenda!" I snap. "What is she doing here?" I ask Teresa as she bends down to pick up a sharp knife.

"She demanded to tag along," Teresa sighs. "What a slinthead. I want to kick her ass."

"Then do it," I laugh.

"Maybe I will." Teresa walks away with a sharp knife in hand, and a smug smirk on her lips.