r e t u r n

Three hours later. We had reached the end of the map.

A tall, half falling down, abandoned building stood in front of us.

I could tell by Newt's expression that he was truly losing hope. I reached over and grabbed his hand, squeezing it tightly.

"He could still be in there, Newt. You never know." He replied simply with a nod.

We found a way into the building; the door had fallen off but the doorway was still clear, so we carefully walked through there. Inside, the whole building was completely dark. I used the lantern once again to light up our path. Newt and I both strayed away from each other, trying to find any proof of Alby being here. I know I told Newt we would find him, but after seeing this place, I knew we probably wouldn't. I hate to admit it, because I still felt as if it was my fault he disappeared in the first place.

I wandered into the corner of a room. I could feel a thick, gooey substance coating the floor underneath my feet. I tried to walk away, but my shoe had stuck fast to the floor. I aimed the lantern at the ground, and stared at the sticky, green mess on the floor.

It seemed as if it were alive. The goo moved slowly as if it were breathing; then it climbed up my shoe, burying my foot in the strange substance. As if that wasn't bad enough, I shined the lantern even deeper in the corner, and once I saw them, I let out a shriek.

Bodies.

Everywhere.

Newt heard my scream and ran over to my side. "Watch your feet!" I warned him. "There's something on the floor.."

Newt turned on a flashlight that he must've found somewhere in here and examined the gunk covering my foot.

"What the bloody hell.." He wondered, poking it with the end of his flashlight.

"A-And.. in the corner.." I whispered. Newt looked in the corner with his flashlight, wincing when he saw all the dead bodies. Some were scattered across the floor; some hung from the ceiling fan; some even were mangled so badly they no longer looked human.

"Let's just get out of here," Newt decided, carefully pulling my shoe out of that mess on the floor. I felt terrible that we couldn't find Alby. I didn't know what to do now. Where did we go? Is he still out there? Was he one of those bodies we saw?

But we didn't get very far.

As we were soon about to exit the building, gunshots started firing.

"What the.." Newt started, grabbing my hand and dragging us in behind a table where we hid. Footsteps approached us.

"We know you're here," said a deep, creepy voice. "We will find you eventually! It'd be easier to just come out now..."

I peaked around the corner of the table, and watched the tall man as he spoke, standing only a few feet away from me. He was wearing all black, and a white mask covered his face.

But when I saw who was standing beside him, it frightened me so badly that I let go of Newt and dropped the lantern in surprise. It clattered to the ground with a crash; the glass around the lightbulb shattering all over the floor.

I was blinded once again by the darkness. I could hear Brenda's wicked laughter, and I immediately reached for Newt. I started to panic when I couldn't feel him around me; but I relaxed slightly when I heard his voice.

"I'm right here," Newt whispered as he took me by the hand, dragging me with him as we tried to make a run for it. But Brenda flicked on her flashlight, shining it in our direction as she chased us, getting closer and closer with every step. The tall man she had with her joined in the chase, too. He was quicker than all of us, jumping in front of Newt and I, cornering us between himself and Brenda.

I can remember the terrified look Newt sent me. I remember the feeling of his body trembling against mine. I remember seeing, for a split second, the tall man removing his mask, and recognizing a familiar face.

Then, I remember feeling smothered.